Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Bad Aibling
hultsman
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 15, 2004 12:30:06 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Geez another memory gone. I used to take all of the ski accident victims to BA from Chiemsee. Lots of trips there; also had to take autobahn victims there in the middle of the night as I had the only ambulance around in those days.....

Capt Harris was the doctor there at the time; still had nuns as the nurses and the girls from Chiemsee would always ride up to BA with me to bake cookies for the BA medics....

I guess we just become the sum total of what we remember as age starts to decend......

David
JAMES CAREY
#2 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2004 7:10:26 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members

JOE:

There are several interesting sites to check out Aibling.

The Stars and Stripes write up, dated 4 October 2004:

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=&article=20655&archive=true

The following site, much like afrcski.com, is a "chat" site.

http://www.usafsa.org/fsacurrnews/BadAiblingStayOpen.htm

It looks more and more like GAP will be the only thing south of Stuttgart.

JIM

Joe Pritchard
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2005 6:52:17 PM

Medals:

Groups:

I tryed to get the articule but couldn't. So what are the plans for the place now? It's another place that I don't have any photos of. I spent almost as much time there as I did at Chiemsee. let me know if you hear about what it is going to become. Joe P.
Steffi
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2006 1:30:55 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Bad Aibling officially closed on the 30. Sept., but the closing procedures have been going on all summer. There was a big parade "american style" and other festivities earlier this year. Very funny to see Americans in cowboy dress or in historic uniforms parading along with the local "Trachtenverein" in Dirndl and Lederhosen.

Most employees and military departed long before. The LNs were fired, the rest transfered to other areas, many seem to have gone to Vicenza. Some of the civilians have decided to stay in the area and look for other jobs. Not easy considering the general economic situation is not so rosy at the moment.

The plans for the station grounds have not been finalised. The city of Bad Aibling has taken over the sports fields and plans to rent them to local sports clubs. The rest is still in discussion. The general idea seems to be to use the grounds for some sort of touristic development, either sold to someone or rented.

At the moment the trademark "white ballons" are still in place and it looks as though they are being left behind.

Steffi

trevor cox
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2006 1:48:16 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Steffi,

I can just about remember you. Do you know about Derek Tootle?

cheers.

Trevor

Joe Pritchard
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:19:28 PM

Medals:

Groups:

I'm sad to see that another place has closed but at the same time I hope something good comes from it. I was recruit there from Chiemsee to run the Tours program because so many of the people from BA took tours I conducted at Chiemsee. When Ernie decided that she wouldn't retire after all, I was put in charge of the kids program, and got involved with a lot of aspects at BA from the Annual German American Fest every April to the 4th Of July Fest that expanded from the week-end before the 4th to the week-end after the 4th. Staged a joint German-American light Opera with the help of the Prince of Maxlrain. Moved the base Library once. Doubled the programing and the number of channels on post. Worked with the Teen Program and got to expand. Brought back the live teater on post. It was a great time with a lot of challenges but did a lot with the little we had only because of the great people that I was fortunate enough to met and know.
doris
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:50:00 AM

Medals:

Groups:

http://www.ovb-online.de...daibling/85,291903.html
today at 24hr is officially the last day of an era, Bad Aibling was turned over to Germany after 52 years.