Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
THE AFRC TIMELINE
lambo
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2004 5:32:45 AM

Medals:

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)

WOW! Jim, what an enterprise! I read every one of the letters in your timeline. thank you so much for putting this together. I will say, however, that it did take a while to download ( I don't have hi-speed; yet!).

I would hope that we could get this in printed form. Did you see my book review of 'Bavarian Creme' and 'Noch Eins'?  (reviews available on this website).These are two books compiled by Circe Woesner about the times and life at and of the University of Maryland, Munich Campus from 1950 until it went away in the late 90's (It moved). I think this project (AFRC Timeline) would fit very well in the same form.

James, thank you so much.

Paul S. Lambres

AFRC Paul

Is there a site where people can find this, or should they just ask you to send it to them?

JAMES CAREY
#2 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2004 3:47:18 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members

PAUL:

Thanks for the kind words.

With the ever changing policy on Government Email I am sort of at a point where I must take a step back and let things go.

I don't have a computer at home (because 10 hours a day in the shop is enough) thus I will not have a means to do much with the TIMELINE.  I would hope someone out there would have the means available to do that.

In total, the book really isn't complete as so many people are missing.  I only wish more could tell their story.

What is is and will never change.

God bless and prey for a 10" fresh powder base.

JIM

David
#3 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2004 9:22:22 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Jim,

I submitted information about my days at AFRC BRA but did not receive a copy of the Timeline.  Could be the address?  I am presently registered with an email address of Schatzeler@Yahoo.com.  Would you please send me a copy thank you?   David Oliver

JAMES CAREY
#4 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2004 3:33:01 PM

Medals:

DAVE:

By now you should have your copy.  I Emailed it out this AM.

If, by chance, there are other RAIDERS out there, or anyone else interested in receiving a copy of the AFRC TIMELINE just drop me an Email and I will reply.

The truth of the matter, there are many of you RAIDERS out there that did not send me anything.  God only knows that when you are looking for names and times, the data in my book just about hits every year from 1946 until 2004.

SkiHeil.

JIM

coley
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2004 1:59:56 PM

Medals:

Groups:

I have been awol from the site for some time but sure would appreciate a copy of the timeline if possible

Coley

brian.cole@new.oxford.ac.uk
kelly03germany
#6 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2004 2:18:36 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi! Computer died three weeks ago just got it back up and running. I also did not get a copy and for some reason my email is not listed with the others. Can you send me a copy? I know I did not send anything as I was in the middle of moving to VA and finishing up school. Maybe there will be a 2nd addition in the future? :) Thanks! Kelly03germany@yahoo.com
dmac
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2004 11:06:42 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Sure is handy!
msheldon
#8 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2004 8:14:03 PM

Medals:

Check the downloads area. The document has been posted in two parts as a downloadable .pdf.

m.

Andy Capp
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2004 6:07:01 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Herr James Carey,I didnt get anything back from ya at all,except a rather funny "when Im 64".--Would like to see your time line deal as it sure seems you have put a lot of work into and am sure many, including meself,are grateful.--I was in GAP first time during the summer 1970 and then again off and on the whole decade.---I was in GAP for a couple of weeks in late July early August 2004 staying with old friends out in Grainau.--I now live in Penang,Malaysia, no snow around these parts..------Andy Capp Wilson.---abw48@yahoo.com---------
JAMES CAREY
#10 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2005 11:26:19 AM

Medals:

The AFRC TIMELINE is finished and has been Emailed to the people that served their time in BRA, GAP, Chiemsee, The Columbia Hotel in Munich as well as guests that stayed at the AFRC facilities over the years.

The TIMELINE is broken down starting with 1946.  There are many AFRC’ers out there that never gave me any information about their time with AFRC.  It would have really been great if everyone could have put his or her comments in this booklet.

I put this together with only one thing in mind.  A history outline of a hand-full of people that made something really great “work”.  In a few more years AFRC will be long forgotten, the people that worked there will no longer be known.  Even with the short years the military was in Bavaria it would be great to know that someone someplace in the future will look back at this TIMELINE and read about what you did and when you made it happen.   Each of us, what we did and how we acted is the making of a story.  One that maybe your great grandkids will read about.  So what if we were stupid at times and did things that were frowned upon at that time?  Today, as we look-back………we were moderate compared to today’s standards.   The Baby-Boomers, Sexual Revolution, Flower Children and Pot Heads of yesterday give the color and taste of our generation. 

A lot of really great photos could not be posted due to the space needed to zip this file and Email it.  I did leave a couple of the photos as they really fit the time.

Some of you I once knew yet many are strangers.  As a family of AFRC members the family grows closer.  No matter where you are in the world you know there is someone that understands what you stood for during your time with AFRC.

JAMES CAREY
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2005 5:44:55 AM

Medals:

BRUCE:

If you read my portion (in the 1970 folder) of AFRC TIMELINE you might remember me.

I was your Senior Enlisted Advisor and worked out of the Stanggass Headquarters.

Anything you have that will fill in one of the folders would be greatly appreciated.

Take your time and try to remember most everything that happened, to whom, and when. Who were your "side-kicks" and what did you do that was so incredible you don't believe it yourself. You know, naked rodle runs at midnight, skiing on a mud slope the winter of 72-73 at the Skytop because it snowed so little.

That's what we are looking for.

JIM

dinerouk
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2005 10:18:46 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

James. I would contribute, but there aint much I can add to my 60,000 word book (half of it covering Garmisch from 1975-91) available on download from this site . Pete Day
sfa
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2005 3:54:55 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Will try to put something together for the 1990 to present. Spent 6 years in Berchtesgaden, 6 in Chiemsee and am working on my fourth year in Garmisch. Have a lot of photos and some pretty good stories. What I need to find is the time to write about 'em.

Also, not sure who maintains the AFRC Ski website but the link to Edelweiss Lodge & Resort needs to be changed to http://edelweisslodgeandresort/index.html, (rather than .../index.php). Just updated the site this evening and the current version only uses PHP for some background tasks.
msheldon
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 08, 2005 10:33:39 PM

Medals:

Looks like user error to me!
JAMES CAREY
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2005 6:02:51 PM

Medals:

PETE:

After what you wrote, along with what I have, who could ask for more?

Understand...............you would really fill the books, but you already have it in the DOWNLOAD.

The one missing link to all of this is the people that used to run the Columbia Hotel in Munich.  It was just down the street from the Hackerbrau.  Is there anyone from that era around?

And then there are the more fun times of riding the TROOP TRAIN that ran between Bremerhaven and Munich. 

JIM

Cookie
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:52:01 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Jim,

Is there a way you can download or transfer some of the stories from the old files?  Tim Foley (Father Foley to some) did a pretty good job with his narritives and I threw in a few reminders of GAP 72-73.  I was a civilian, with a one way ticket from Seattle and landed in Garmisch because of a guy named Tim Joy who worked on the patrol but returned to the states to go to school who I met in school in Bellingham, WA.  I hung out with the Gallouchi Brothers of Arch Stassa and lived in the Green Arrow and had an apartment in a sub-division below the GOLF Hotel.  Worked for Charlie Henderson before going to work at the plastic factory and Frau Drexsel was my benifactor.  Hung out with Mike LLoyd and his wife Simone Irion and her sister Michelle, Jake Verling (who pasted away on the Mountian working the patrol in Sun Valley, Kim Lewis and his wife Rosie, Stu Brown, Chip Moran and the list goes on.  Rode on Stan's motorcycle in Chemise and joined the 100 Mile An' Hour Club and bought a motorcycle from him when he worked for Jackson Hole Cycle in 1975.  This, of course, is just a taste but the real record can be found in the early site files.  I suggest you do a little research so that Garmisch can be represented.  People will get involved when they feel motivated.  Just keep the timeline open and as people have the time and feel the need to remember, they have a place to go and expand on the past.  Feel free to add this small sample to your folder.  Let me know if you can mine the past.  THXS for your efforts.

Ed Feltis (Cookie Monster)

edfeltis@juno.com  

potalaworld
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 05, 2006 9:19:30 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Cookie Monster, I also spent a lot of time with the Galluchi brothers & stayed at Herr Johanssens on Arch str. Kim & Rosie, were good friends since we all stayed at the Green Arrow. I remember we all ate some brownies & went to see 2001 A Space Odyssey, I guess we overdid the ingredients, because some of us laughed so hard we had to walk out, & I thought it was the funniest movie I had ever seen! There were a whole bunch of us there, Mellow Jack, Frank from Tacoma, Big Mike from the Air force, & a whole lot of others. I also worked at Geiger Plastic & lasted 3 days when they fired me, but then took them to  arbitration because they made me work on this awful machine that gave me asthma attacks(giftige abgasse), & they sent me to a large lady doctor, who appeared to be a former concentration camp guard who said, 'Ich Kann gar nichts finden”, I protested that 'Sie sind kein lungen spezialist”, & so I was sent by the Arbeitsamt to a Dr Geiger. He told me he was no relation to Geiger Plastics, & then asked me if I would mind if we spoke English since he had “Kein gelegenheit, Englisch zu sprechen” I said of course & he gave me papers saying I could only work outdoors, so the Arbeitsamt had to pay me DM2400 for the weeks I hadnt worked. I worked the next 2 years for the Bayerische Zugspitzbahn on the Osterfelder lifts, & the Ski Patrol & me & Michel had some fantastic times, like touching the sky. In summer I was with the dreaded Deutsche Asphalt, where we occasionally worked from 6.30 am till 1am the next morning but I was making between DM2500 & DM3000  a month, which was great for 1978, the only problem was I had to keep Irish Ron under control since he was like a wild animal.Sort of like sit Ron, sit, theres a good boy. Also some of the Nazis like Dieter who hung out at the Chance were hard to take but I made enough money to go to India & the east with Rachel so in retrospect, it was worth the suffering! In 73 I hung out with Sunshine at Chiemsee & we had some great soccer games then, there was one airforce guy who was really good but I cant remember his name. I do remember Mike, & Simone, Scotty Stratton, was it Paul Lambert who was the photographer, & of course Mike Harker, Jake, etc, great time in a great place.

Andy (Drew) Failes

www.potalaworld.com  

chucksklrst
#18 Posted : Friday, April 07, 2006 4:30:36 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Jim, Please send me a copy of the Time Line. Thanks

Chuck Henderson
Wichita Falls, TexAs
(Misplaced Coloradan)

ChucksKLRST@AOL.com

Scouse Sharon
#19 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2006 1:11:52 AM

Medals:

Groups:

I received a copy but deleted it by mistake, if possible could you send me another copy, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

sharonforbes@hotmail.com

JAMES CAREY
#20 Posted : Friday, November 06, 2009 3:34:31 PM

Medals:

HARLEY:

YES............you are good to go.

If you have your story in WORD just attach and email to my government address:

james.carey@dfas.mil

I will then be able to post it.

As a member of my new web site you have the freedom to go in, edit, post and attach any photos you might have.

JIM