Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Untag as favorite
THE EVERGREEN LODGE
Joe Pritchard
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2005 6:56:01 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
So Jim what did happen to the lodge. Itwas one of the mostly lovely pieces that AFRC ever had. and it had a most dedicated one woman staff, and I can't imagine the building withut here.
dmac
#2 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2005 8:31:09 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Ah Yes! Great memorys of“The Ki Hop” so named because the “s” was removed from  Ski Shop sign on the wall of bottom lift terminal. Where many gomlers lived when working for AFRC in the late sixtys. We had great partys there and privat night skiing. Beautiful on a full moon. I think the Evergreen was Albert Speers studio.

M

DOC
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2005 2:36:11 AM

Medals:

Groups:

You are right about the Lodge being SApeers studio and when I checked it out last Sept. it was unchanged.

We also enjoyed night skiing in the seventies with little light but good music

JAMES CAREY
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2005 2:36:11 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members

JOE:

I understand the company that is constructing the new hotel on Goering Hill is using it as an office for the project manager.

Other than that I guess the place is still available if someone wanted to buy it.

JIM.

JAMES CAREY
#5 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 12:00:02 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members

I recently received a letter from a Tammy Piper. She was inquiring about photos and information on the Evergreen Lodge. I sent her what photos I had along with the following information. If anyone else out there has more data and photos, especially of the interior of the lodge then please send the information to Tammy. Also, share the photos with the rest of us. [ Tam4givin@aol.com ]

I never took any photos of the interior and should have, but at the time who ever gave it any thought.

The Evergreen Lodge was considered a VIP facility. The only people housed there were the "higher-ups". The CINC (Commander in Chief) from USAREUR (United States Army Europe) any Flag Officers (General Staff) from other areas; Congressional and Senate staff; Ambassadors, etc.

The lodge had three suites on the top floor. On the main floor was a large loft sitting area along with a beautiful fireplace, one wall of windows towards the west, overlooking Berchtesgaden. To the south side of the loft was the dining area. Here a "housekeeper" prepared breakfast for the guests and served them.

The kitchen area was in the basement along with a storage room and two private rooms. In the private rooms staff workers from the Skytop Lodge lived.

Not overly recognized by many that visited BRA (Berchtesgaden Recreation Area) this lodge was really a beautiful building, inside and out. To the Southeast corner of the parking lot was a power lift that would tow skiers up on a very nice run. It was not long, but served its purpose.

If I was 30 years younger today I would return to Berchtesgaden, purchase this property and open a Bed n’ Breakfast. I am quit sure it would always be full. I know that for those RAIDERS that would return I would always have a "free" space in the Inn for them. Oh yah, the name……………it would be the same……….THE EVERGREEN LODGE.

JIM