Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Anybody still here from 1972-73?
Sigi
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2005 8:56:51 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)

Its me Sig, I worked at the Pitz and the Osterfelder, we drank jugs of Lambrusco wine commin down the train after work and staggered into the American Bar and Grill.  I was the crazy Canadian from BC and you guys were the wildest suckers I've ever had the pleasure of hangin out with.

What a great time we all had, just wonderin if anybody was still alive or did they die, unfortunately I know some did.  Gerard for one with that Kawasaki 500 they passed from owner to owner.

Those were great times and I will always remember them.  Very cool you have this wesite, I always wondered where everybody was!

lambo
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2006 2:39:08 AM

Medals:

Groups: Administrators

Sigi, It depends on what you mean by 'still here'. There are several of us still alive, but most of the folks are in the states. . Hell, we just had over 100 in Whitefish for our 35th Annual AFRC Reunion. The core of this group is from 72 to 75. About 65% Berchtesgaden and Chiemsee with the rest all Garmischers.
Welcome to the site.
Where are you now?

lambo
#3 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2006 9:45:40 PM

Medals:

I don't mean 72 to 75 years old! I mean in AFRC from 1972 to 1975!
Sigi
#4 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2006 10:58:13 AM

Medals:

Groups:

I'm back in BC, I left Garmisch in the summer of 73 and spent the next 4 years livin at Whistler Mtn. and skiing my brains out.  I did see Peter Murray, he was living at Crystal Mtn in Wa. state in those years, even Terry Harding, he was back in Bothel Wa.

I returned to Garmisch in the summer of 76 for a visit with my fiance Diane, but didn't see anyone from the old group that I recognised.  Mike Krupp was still there.  He phones me occasionally, last I heard he was back in Oregon.

Sonia actually came over here and stayed by my parents place sometime in the later 70's, I was working up north at the time and only saw her briefly.

I should have saved some brain cells back then, if I knew I needed them now I would have, I'm havin a problem remembering names.

I have an 03 hundred aniversary Heritage Springer which Diane (she's my wife now) and  I ride all over the states, came within 400 mi. of New York city but the hurricane weather made me head for Toronto instead.  Will be in Colorado the first week of Sept. this year, have been to many great ski areas down there with the bike in the summer of course.

Looked for Stu Brown in Sun Valley Id. I heard from somebody who knew him that he passed away, not sure if its the same Stu.  We love ridin the bike down south and have been to alot of the different states,  Arizonna and Utah are great in the springtime.

We ride with the Heritage Springer Owners Asscociation:  HSOA, they are a fabulous group here is a link :http://www.heritagespringer.com/

I'm happy I was directed to this site and hopefully one of these days will meet up with some of you.  We have the 2010 Olympic's commin up here shortly so it will be an exciting time!

Sigi
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:22:19 AM

Medals:

Groups:

I forgot to mention: check out the photobucket pics on HSOA, I'm Springermaniac and Diane is there with me somewhere!
lambo
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:36:17 PM

Medals:

Sigi,
Stu is just fine. I skied with him on March 8 of this year on my way to the reunion in Whitefish.
His home phone number is 208-788-3560 and his cell number is 208-720-5415
Sigi
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:26:10 AM

Medals:

Groups:

That's really great news, is he still in Sun Valley?  He did come and visit me in Whistler long ago, I still have his card from the Silver Creek Saloon.  I will be lookin him up for sure as we ride thru Idaho alot, I love the Lolo pass rd towards Mezzula and then headin south to Salmon and over to Jackson Hole.  That whole area is very beautiful country and from what I remember quite a few afrc guys live around the neighbouring states.

Thanks for the great news I'm really happy now!

Andy Capp
#8 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 2:18:47 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Sigi, I remember you well as you spoke Bavarian even older than the bavarians around us, i think you learned it from your grandmother, is that correct?. anyhoo, am Andy Wilson and we worked together the first year of the Osterfelderbahn and am from Scotland, the other Canuk was Bernie and he also spoke perfect german. --- Am in the states right now working and I drive 18 wheelers around in circles then i go back and live in my condo in Penang Malaysia, 6 months each time.email me at abw48@yahoo.com, put GAP in the subject title. --- Once we tried to drive your big post van up to the halfway house,cant remember if we made it or not but then theres a lot i cant remember. --- Andy W. ----
Sigi
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:11:34 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Andy,  I saw Bernie a few years ago, he is way up in the ranks at Whistler Mtn with the ski patrol.  He went to Switzerland after Garmisch and took the Bergwacht avalanche control course and wound up being in charge of avalanche control for Whistler/Blackcombe.  He is doing really well and when we were having a drink at about 9:30pm his phone went off and he had to organize a rescue crew and they searched the mtn. all nite for lost skiers, goes with the job!

That was a wild nite at the halfway house, we had at least 20 guys in my van and it had trouble making it around the switchbacks so everyone got out and pushed once we got goin again they all jumped back in the back barndoors.  This continued till we got up there and at about 2;30am we honked the horn and flashed the lites had Deep Purple cranked on the 8-track and got the owner out of bed. 

Hey do you want to sell us a Keg of Beer I asked him, he thought for a moment and said “sure I do”  he partied with us till almost sun-up. “ His wife was screaming at him are you crazy get rid of those guys and come back to bed “ Oh be quiet and go back to bed he told her;   He gave us a bottle of snaps on the house and shared his snuff tobacco with us.

The ride back down the mtn was insane as some of the guys decided to race me down the mtn.  I had to drive down the switchbacks and they just jumped over the road banks and ran straight down the hill.  As we came down the straight streach guys were cartwheeling ass over tea kettle infront of the van over the embankments.  On the next piece of road the wounded were laying bleeding on the ground and the rest of us in the Van picked them up and put them in the back.  We didn't lose anyone but I'm sure I took at least 4 guys to the hospital once we got back down.

It was lucky I could speak the language, my parents always spoke it to me when I was small, that's what got me the job at the pitz, Herr Rutz couldn't believe I spoke English as well.  Those sure were great times.

My email is springermaniac@hotmail.com, that's a great idea to put GAP in the subject line anyone want to contact me you are more than welcome!

Andy Capp
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:16:12 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Sigi you have a better memory than me mate.