Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
previous post--Germany in Jan.
JSS
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2004 6:30:06 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)

I am new here.  Earlier I posted to ask about a trip in January to Garmisch.  I don't see the post so maybe it is in cyber-space.

We have not been back to ski in Germany since learning to ski at Berchtesgaden in 1985.... now we are ski instructors:-))

Any tips, recommendations, etc on a ski trip will be welcome. 

Thanks,

Jackie

JSS
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 2, 2004 3:11:09 AM

Medals:

Groups:

How many days is recommended?  We are thinking 10 days but four of  those go for travel. 

We planned to stay at the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort if there is room.  Any other ideas?

Flying into Frankfort saves money on the plane but it is 3 3/4 hr. more by train to Garmisch. 

I hope this sparks some comments.  We hope to start reservations tomorrow and would appreciate some info.  if it is available.

Thanks

JAMES CAREY
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 2, 2004 11:35:34 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members

JSS:

You should check with Lufthansa on a flight to Munich.  Price is the same as to FRK and much closer.  The new Lufthansa airport in Munich is really great.  Grab a rental car and it's about an hour to GAP.

JIM

Lekylark
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 2, 2004 2:27:47 PM

Medals:

Groups:

I assume you have Military ID cards so the website for the lodge is:

http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/ 

They are fairly full for a lot of the winter so you should try & book as soon as possible, if your dates are full go to:

http://www.garmisch.de/ 

They have an on line search & book engine, there are lots of Ferienwohnungs that are a good price & you will have your own kitchen if you want to cook or even just for coffee & breakfast etc. You can also check out sites such as expedia & travelocity & Hotel direct sites

Marriot, Quality inn & suites, Best western, Accor hotels

Have fun & enjoy your stay...

Sue

Lekylark
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2004 2:14:02 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Did you check out the websites I posted? you can go on line and book for the next 4 nights there.

Getting to the ski area from the Edelweiss.....Well you may be able to get on one of the resort ski week busses if there is room or if not then there is a German bus stop just around the corner on the main road (Zugspitze str) as you come out of the main gate make a left to the main road & then right, that bus will take you to the Marienplatz and there you change to the Hausberg bus. If you are going to the Osterfelder or Kreuzeck or Zugspitze then when you get to the main road cross to the other side (the bus stop is a little further up) and get the Osterfelder bus (green) or the Zugspitze/Eibsee bus which is Blue (Well it always used to be). In addition you can get all this info at the front desk 

In addition if you book into a German hotel/gasthaus you will get a visitors card which will let you ride the busses for free & also the German lift pass used to allow you free bus rides so check when you get there if it still does, aslo check about the busses if you get the pass from the resort.

Have fun

Lekylark
#6 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2004 8:56:05 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Jackie,

Yes I am still in Heidelberg. Yes you can take your ski's on the busses, they have ski racks on the back of the bus. You can also rent a locker at the hausberg lodge & leave your ski's there (if that is where you will be skiing), you can also rent all of the equipment there if you decide not to bring your skis.

have a good trip.

Sue

glenn.kuntz
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 7, 2004 3:26:48 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Jackie and Sue:  I was in Germany Oct 9-23 and spent about 8 days in Garmisch.  It was my first return to Garmisch in 30 years.   I taught tennis and skiing there 1973-1974.  I stayed a few nights in the Edelweiss Lodge.  It doesn't have the character that the old hotels had.  For me, the worst part was the security.  It is like a prison with guards at the gate who run a computer check on your military ID and car registration (but didn’t actually check the car) each time you enter.  AND it was certainly no bargain.  It cost me $96/night for one person.  That would be okay but I expected the Army hotel to be a good deal.  I didn’t go to Germany to be locked up in Little America, and I was offended by the repetitive gratuitous security hassles, so I checked out and got a very nice room in a Gastehaus near the old Patton Hotel for about $40/night WITH breakfast.  I will have to send you the name and address of the Gastehaus if I can find it.  Several of my more sensible Army friends told me they do not stay at the Edelweiss when they go to Garmisch because they want to experience the German atmosphere.  I must say the American hotel had a very nice laundry room - something you don't normally get in Europe. 

Sue, how did you post those photos on the AFRC web site?  I took some photos that may interest some of the oldtimers.

Also, Jackie, where do you teach skiing?  I will ski this coming February with the Columbia, MD ski club in St. Moritz and with the SCWDC in Davos.  If you want to ski Europe, those clubs and the Baltimore ski club have some very nice trips.  They do all the planning for you and the prices are reasonable.

GLENN

Lekylark
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2005 12:25:09 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Jackie,

Zurs is about 2 hours drive, depoending on the weather & road conditions, I don't know if you can get a train there, but you can get a train to St Anton & you could probably get a bus from there. How long will you be staying in Garmisch? I am probably going down there about the 19th/20th Jan for a few days.

Sue

JSS
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2005 12:46:33 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Sue,

My guess is unless skiing is really not fun in Garmisch, we will hang out there.  Just being in Germany, eating, siteseeing, and moderate skiing is fine.  This is a catch all vacation.  We leave on the 18th (wouldn't you know).

We still don't have reservations for the last four days but I though it would be fun to scope it out once we are there.  I'm sure we will be able to find something.

Enjoy your visit too,

Jackie

JSS
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2008 6:05:06 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Thanks, we are booking now.  Our promo flight to Frankfort is gone so Munich here we come.

We plan on staying at the Edelweiss Lodge.  If that falls through, any other ideas??

Thanks,

Lekylark
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:39:14 PM

Medals:

Groups:

I forgot to add that I just added some photos in the photo gallery of the Edelweiss lodge, so you can see what it looks like...

Sue

JSS
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2008 6:48:25 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Next Sat. we will be on the plane to Germany.  After years of trying space-A, it is nice to know we are really going to get there.

It looks like the weather there is a bit warm but it will give us a day or so to get settled before we take to the slopes.

Is Zurs close enough to do a day trip?

Jackie

JSS
#13 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 5:59:44 PM

Medals:

Groups:

We have five nights at the edelweisslodge  and probably plane tickets for Jan 9 - 18th.  Now for the next four nights!  And how do we get to the ski areas?

Any help will save us time from “reinventing the wheel“.

Are there buses to the slopes?  I need help more than I thought:-))

This is quite the adventure.  But that is sort of the point of going. 

Thanks so much for your ideas,

Jackie

JSS
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:58:02 PM

Medals:

Groups:

¢Glenn,

I would love to know the name of the place you stayed --“I will have to send you the name and address of the Gastehaus if I can find it. “

There will be three of us so our price would triple I bet?

My husband and I teach at SkiRoundtop PA. just north of York - south of Harrisburg.  It is a great local spot to have lots of fun.  We are there Wed. and Sun, am once the snow arrives:-)

Would it be possible to wait until we get there in Jan. to scope out a second place?  or will that be a super busy time? Your friends may know.  We haven't been to Germany since 88.  Our son always had too much happening during the summers.  We tried a space A trip but landed in London and HI instead.  This should be a great trip.

Thanks for the info.  - be sure to add any more info:-))

Jackie

Lowell
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:58:15 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hello old gang Glen from tennis where the heck are Gator, Stu , and Festus

Garmisch Summer 1976  Golf

Lowell

JSS
#16 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 3:55:05 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Sue,

I did email some locations from the Garmisch site.  They may work.  I have heard that the Edelweiss may have rooms open up - or they can give us a referral to local places at a reduced rate?   I will have to think about that since having a reservation is comforting.

We plan to carry our skis along so hopefully that is normal for the bus in a ski town.  Thanks for the info about the visitor's card for the buses.

We were in Heidelberg from 1984-1988. Are you still there?  We now live in Maryland.

Thanks again,

Jackie