Tag as favorite
Going back to B-gaden and Garmisch
Tlach
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2005 8:11:16 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)

All,

I am reletively new to the AFRC site.  I was on the ski patrol in BGD the winter of 75-76.  My wife and I are going back to visit both BGD and Garmisch in a few weeks.  Though that I would solicit “must see” items from the group.  I will be coming to the 36th reunion and will bring some pictures from the visit if there is interest. I even dug up my old ski/water patrol patch! I has been great finding this site after 30 years.

Best regards,

Tom Lachner

TLACH@aol.com

goldenboy
#2 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2009 4:30:00 AM

Medals:

Groups:

barely missed you. i was a ski instructor and tourguide from 1978 till the bitter end.1996
i only remember one contact with a skipatrol guy, when i skied straight down from the polk. no tugging. besides smoking dope in austrian skilifts.
it was the best time of my life
hans voss was the boss
Tlach
#3 Posted : Monday, October 05, 2009 5:52:54 PM

Medals:

Groups:

We are back in the USA.  As expected B-gaden as we knew it is pretty much gone. There is only one building still owned by the US Govt. and it is rarely used.  We visitied all the old places and the ones that are left look better than I remember. The ski hills look just like they did 33 years ago.  Strube is occupied by the German army so I could not get on the base.  The town, however, is still as beautiful as ever and definitely worth the trip back.  This time of year is especially good due to the drop in the tourist crowd.

We went to Gramisch also and stopped by the new AFRC hotel.  What a nice place...I wish I was still able to use it.  Sheridan barricks are still in pretty good shape for those that have spent some time there.  I have pictures.  If anyone would like to see them just send me an email and I will send them.

Tom Lachner

B-Gaden Ski Patrol 75-76

goldenboy
#4 Posted : Monday, October 05, 2009 8:34:06 PM

Medals:

Groups:

barely missed you. i was a ski instructor and tourguide from 1978 till the bitter end.1996
i only remember one contact with a skipatrol guy, when i skied straight down from the polk. no tugging. besides smoking dope in austrian skilifts.
hans voss was the boss
goldenboy
#5 Posted : Monday, October 05, 2009 8:34:06 PM

Medals:

Groups:

hans voss was the boss
goldenboy
#6 Posted : Monday, October 05, 2009 8:34:06 PM

Medals:

Groups:

hans voss was the boss
goldenboy
#7 Posted : Monday, October 05, 2009 8:34:06 PM

Medals:

Groups:

hans voss was the boss
Bill Sutherland
#8 Posted : Monday, October 05, 2009 10:39:09 PM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I don't remember anyone in B'gaden being there as long as me? When did you get up to B'gaden and work at skitop?
Bill Sutherland
#9 Posted : Monday, October 05, 2009 10:51:12 PM

Medals:

Tom;

I've been back every year (almost) until 2003/04 and in 2005 I finish a tour in Wiesbaden. Was able to go up there month after month. We usually go back every year as my wife goes back to visit family and friends... this year she took my two sisters and left me home to paint the house. Apparently I get somewhat anti social when I look at what Skytop was and where the General Walker, Hof Hotel used to be... I don't remember you but I was working at Skytop as a civilian then....
We would all like to see some pictures... Did you stop by and say hello to Werner?
Tlach
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 06, 2009 11:42:14 AM

Medals:

Groups:

We spent the day with David (Eagle Nest Tours)  who used to work at AFRC.  We drove around to most of the old places.Werner has retired and his place run by someone else,  I took a picture of it.  The geiger hotel across the street is in shambles.  Evidently it got too much for the son to run and abondoned before he moved to Munich. I will send some pics.
Bill Sutherland
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 06, 2009 2:38:24 PM

Medals:

Tom, Yes you are right, Werner did retire in Oct 2005 and sold his place to the current owner. I have a picture of us all together. He is a trained gourmet cook and loves Americans. I am sure anyone that stops by would be surprised to see how nice the hotel and food is!
Across the street is the Hotel Geiger and yes, it was owned by the owner's son who took over after he (his father was sick and died). In 2003/04 he went bankrupt and borrowed too much and became over burdened with money owed. Eventually he went bankrupt. Oddly enough, the Hotel is or was beautiful but now is so run down I doubt the money to rebuild or refurbish would be too much. The real problem is the town will have to re-invent itself, as tourists are rare and in no way has the visitors once known in the 1970-1990s hay day.
bgadenmp
#12 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2009 8:20:52 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Tom

I would love to see the Bgaden shots if you can send them.

Thank You

Wayne Fitzpatrick

508th Military Police Bn.

1962/1963

dadosteel
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 10:38:27 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Tom,

Can you get those piks posted? I'd love to see the old place. Thanks,

Tim

phosphateb
#14 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 12:40:51 AM

Medals:

Groups:

tom would love to see the patch. in 82-83 the patches were not used and or issued :-(
Bill Sutherland
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:31:34 PM

Medals:

Hans came by my bar in 1993, just before I sold it in 1994 and moved to Ansback - if I knew your real name I sure I would know you.
Bill Sutherland
#16 Posted : Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:33:41 PM

Medals:

Tom be sure to post them somewhere we can see them. Did you stay in B'gaden? We were just over there in September. Great weather, on the blue skies kind of day makes you wish you could stay there...but been there done that?
Tlach
#17 Posted : Friday, November 06, 2009 9:16:20 PM

Medals:

Groups:

I should have the pics posted early next week.  Need to sort through them and just post a few for the site. 

Tom Lachner

goldenboy
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:41:40 PM

Medals:

Groups:

hans voss was the boss