Tag as favorite
AFRC Garmisch Update
Sue Rutter
#1 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2005 11:44:09 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)

Hey Babs,

Hope all is well with you.  The Sheridan is totally revamped and is the George C Marshal Ctr for Security Studies (One big Sham),  The new hotel is built on top of the old Sheridan Hotel site .  Basically there will be no Recreation Instructors it is  tours and contracted through  German schools.

Sue  

potalaworld
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2005 3:40:15 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi, I spent roughly 4 years in Garmisch between 1970-78 & lived in amongst other places, the Sheridan Annex, the Green Arrow(General Abrams) & at Pop Johannsens. Are Bomber & Goldie still there? What about Bombers golf job, finito? If you happen to see them could you tell them I would love to see them, I havent seen them since Chiang Mai about 8 years ago. Rachel & I will be going East to Thailand, Nepal & Eastern Tibet in April, so if they are out there maybe I will see them again. Sorry to hear about the end of AFRC, from the Casa Carioca, to the International Bar & grill, the Eibsee Hotel, to wild parties & careening down from the halfway house it was a ball.

Drew (Andy) Failes.

Website  www.potalaworld.com  

dinerouk
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2005 4:15:44 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

"I wish I wish I wish in vain that we

could sit simply in that room again.

Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat

I'd give it all gladly if our lives could be like that.”

'Bob Dylan's Dream' from 'Freewheelin' album

Pete Day

chucksklrst
#4 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2005 12:37:31 AM

Medals:

Groups:

This is for all of us that were part of the AFRC family over the years.

Especially the Water Patrol crowd of 1970                                               

Times gone By

Remember how we spent the nighttime counting out the stars.

Too late for the pool, too early for the bars.

All of us together would raise our glasses high.

And drink a toast to times gone by.

The times, oh we had some times.

When the world was the color of neon signs.

Each of us, and all of us, killed our dreams with beer

And tried to crowd a lifetime, into times that were here.

Remember how the Sunday morning bells were always ringing

And out along Headquarters we’d hear the big man (Fabian ) singing.

In that unforgettable time, some August or July,

Even then we would talk of times gone by.

The times, oh we had some times

When love only cost nickels and dimes.

And now, when our secret needs are hard to satisfy

We talk of going back again, to times gone by.

Remember how we talked and laughed and cried into the dawning

And the terrible taste of kisses in the morning.

Crowded pools, lots of Brass, and very little sky.

Even then, the better times, were times gone by.

The times, you know we had some times,

With gentle women and Italian wines.

But that was in the summer before the winter cry.

And now we drink a toast to THOSE times gone

Recreated from a poem of Rod  Macuian’s

Times gone by

chucksklrst
#5 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2005 12:37:31 AM

Medals:

Groups:

This is for all of us that were part of the AFRC family over the years.

Especially the Water Patrol crowd of 1970                                               

Times gone By

Remember how we spent the nighttime counting out the stars.

Too late for the pool, too early for the bars.

All of us together would raise our glasses high.

And drink a toast to times gone by.

The times, oh we had some times.

When the world was the color of neon signs.

Each of us, and all of us, killed our dreams with beer

And tried to crowd a lifetime, into times that were here.

Remember how the Sunday morning bells were always ringing

And out along Headquarters we’d hear the big man (Fabian ) singing.

In that unforgettable time, some August or July,

Even then we would talk of times gone by.

The times, oh we had some times

When love only cost nickels and dimes.

And now, when our secret needs are hard to satisfy

We talk of going back again, to times gone by.

Remember how we talked and laughed and cried into the dawning

And the terrible taste of kisses in the morning.

Crowded pools, lots of Brass, and very little sky.

Even then, the better times, were times gone by.

The times, you know we had some times,

With gentle women and Italian wines.

But that was in the summer before the winter cry.

And now we drink a toast to THOSE times gone

Recreated from a poem of Rod  Macuian’s

Times gone by

Rick
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:20:40 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Thanks for the update, Sue. 

Man, it kind of aches inside just reading about this;  like learning of the passing of a beloved friend.  How lucky we were to have had the opportunity to live such a magical dream.  Even to this day I'm ever grateful.  While the Garmisch we knew is now fading away into to dark mist of history forgotten, deep in the hearts and memories of we who experienced those wondrous times dwells a special place where she will live on, forever immortal. 

Goodbye, old friend. 

lambo
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2005 5:14:25 PM

Medals:

Groups: Administrators

And that is why we hope you all can keep it alive by coming to a reunion once in a while. There seems to be interest from several core groups to have reunions now and again.
Our group (core 71-16) always invites any AFRC folks to come and share their time with us. Military, civilian, traveling; whatever your AFRC connection is or was, it's all good to us. And please keep posting any reunion info on this site. I would love to be able to hook up with other groups once in a while.
They say you can never go back; I don't think we are trying to. We all get a bit meloncholy now and again, but I am sure most of us have guided our lives by what we learned and experienced in our travels thru Germany and consequently, the rest of the world.
Would I do things differently? I doubt it.
AFRC Paul
Chris A
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2005 5:23:19 AM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

2nd try

Chris A here from Alberta, Canada (GAP72-75) . Sad news about the Grill et al, if not unexpected. Saw Drew's comments and thought I'd add my own in memorium. I was a civilian worker at the Green Arrow in 72 and 73, travelled, and returned to be a cleaner at the billeting office & ski shop and later the bowling alley six days a week.

On my rare time off when I wasn't too tired, I used to love popping in the the B & G for one of those exquisite milk shakes and some other liquid refreshment. Speaking of refreshment, I never could figure out why in one of the best beer making countries in the world, Miller High life was sold. That was usually followed by a night of dancing to Smoke on the Water and the rest of the musical themes of the time. The invariable shouts of  “Short“ from forces personnel nearing the end of enlistment (and danger) were a counterpoint to the pounding music. 

The complex was a great one for entertainment with some fine movies to seen at the theatre and some finer entertainment watching neophytes on the tennis courts outside(nearly as interesting as the Hausberg for novice disasters - not that I was any good  myself). 

There were a couple of indoor games I seem to remember- a foosball table(though that may have been a chemically induced hallucination) and the first video game PONG. We were astounded at such technical wizardry. 

At the old Hausberg, aside from my rare attempts at skiing, the entertainment was usually fine too. A subsequent friend Peter Thompson, used to sing a great medley of folk tunes and a few other friends often graced the stage.  

Fasching at the Hausberg, with 1/2 price lift tickets for those in costume, was a bargain and often hilarious - occasionally breathtaking. I remember being very pleased that I was able to negotiate the slopes in a nightgown, only to be amazed by four daredevils flashing (and I do mean FLASHING) by in thealtogether. Three guys and a gal. I think I knew a couple of them. Somewhere I have pictures . . . 

I lived in the Sheridan Annex for a time as well  and recall some great parties and a lot of folks crashing over the years with me and others. I think I met more people in GAP in a shorter time, and enjoyed them more than I ever had before. I learned from each of them, mostly that the world is much smaller than we're lead to believe and no matter what our differences, our similarities are greater. 

So, prosit to the Grill and Garmisch and all our AFRC buddies, and the best of the season to all of you, along with warm thoughts from a place a bit closer to Santa's workshop. Frohe weinacht und alles gute im Neuen Jahr. 

Chris

potalaworld
#9 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2005 10:37:59 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi, All you ex Garmischers, it feels like Garmisch here in upstate New York, lots of snow the trees glistening & the mountains though not so high, resplendent in the background. When I think of all the wild nights at the Grill, & Johns Club, I am amazed that I survived. Rodelling underneath the ski jumps in the stadium, hiking down from the Eckbauer & stopping off for few halbes in Wamberg, climbing the Zugspitze, the Dreitorspitz, & the Alpspitz. The Last Chance, passing those illegal ciggies under the table, sorry Sonia & Frau Drexel!Coming back from the halfway house with Jim o'Connor, Mike Munch, horizontal Bob, & various other nutters, as high as kites, it was fabulous. sad to hear that the tradition is just memories now, but Garmisch certainly changed my life for the better, & I just wanted to wish everyone, Viele Spass, & have a frohe Weinachten und ein Gluckliches Neue Jahr. .
jack
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2005 4:00:01 AM

Medals:

Groups:

I had to reply to you. I travelled to Nepal when I got out of the service. I was a patroller 76-78 in Garmisch. Fast forward your website I have purchased from it, It is such a small small world. I will have to email a pic of what I do with the piece I have.
karen.t
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:59:04 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Sue, I didn't know you were still in Garmisch.  I get back there from time to time, and feel another visit coming on soon.  Would love to see you.  I am living in Mallorca now, happy and content, but just about every day my thoughts go back to Garmisch, I like it here, but know it will never hold the same magic as Garmisch did and still does.  No matter how many hotels they tear down or build, the mountains will always be there, and our little happy valley will remain.  I expect if you have been there all along the changes don't seem so dramatic, and some even for the better.  But I must say reading some of the comments was like an obituary for an old friend!!  But no dossers!!  I always thought they were the very essence of GAP, who were you if you had never been a dosser??!!  Oh well, guess I will have to fork out for my luxury apartment like last time, but I will still be remembering the grand old days of sleeping on the Annexe floor...

drhodes4
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2006 4:47:53 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Sue, I just got an email from Paul?? When is the reunion...I visit over that way some. Hope you are well. Don Rhodes
lambo
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2006 5:00:43 AM

Medals:

Groups: Administrators

Don, If you click on the very top of the afrc website where it says 'snowbasin' you will be prompted to download the info and registration form.
Or you can email me directly; paul@afrcski.com and ask all the questions you want.
AFRC Paul
kelly03germany
#14 Posted : Monday, February 06, 2006 4:00:23 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Sue, wow it's crazy to hear how much has changed! I really wished I could have gone to see Garmisch when I was in Germany in 2003. As it was I went to Berchtesgaden and also was at the last 4 of July in Chiemsee. Must dig up those pics and post them. My 12 yr. old is FINALLY speaking German on a regular basis as he is taking it in school and there are other kids speaking it too. (with no american accent)Don't think I'll make it to Germany this yr but hopefully next yr and we will look you up......Kelly PS-is Enrique still working there? If yes tell him hi -I am sure he'll remember me after all these years :)

Brian Sizer
#15 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2006 3:01:44 PM

Medals:

Groups:

What do you mean no dosers....where the hell am I going to stay when I go over for a doss I mean visit.
stanleysteamer
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2006 1:19:54 AM

Medals:

Groups:

hey steve, this is steve h.  you lucky dog, u need to give a full report and take pictures to post here.  from what ive been reading it has changed big time.  so funny when we were there in 79/80 the lake placid games were going on.  do u remember the guy with the little renault the fritz on the patrol? I wish everyone from 79/80 would find this website, it would be cool to have a reunion with the group and the civi's that were there then.  hey have a great time ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JuttaF
#17 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2006 1:32:02 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi all!

The same SAD events are happening in Berchtesgaden. First the demolition  of the Alpine Inn Hotel, then Hotel General Walker and now my beloved childhood home, the Berchtesgadener Hof is being destroyed and laying in shambles. It hurts from the depths of my soul to hear about it and I am so angry, mostly that I am rendered helpless and unable to prevent this disaster.

Regardless if you lived in B'gaden or Garmisch the connection that we all have felt with those buildings are forever carved in our memory and have become part of us. Sadly, they will have to stay there as there no longer exist physical manifestations of our memories.

God Bless!

Jutta (Schuster) Fournier

David
#18 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2006 8:17:11 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Its a sad day for me to hear about the B'gaden Hof  being destroyed and along with it some great memories that I still hold dear today.  The swimming pool was my best TDY ever in the military during the summer of 1963.  The Hof was so grand at the time and elegant totally first class for a PFC out of Mannheim.  The three other guards and I saw many shows there in the summer.  Wally Blake, an Irish tenor, magic shows, and of course, the loves of our lives the Del Ray Dancers.  Wayne, if you are reading this, does it choke you up as it does me.  What fabulous times for us and our friends, so nice to reminisce about the days gone by.  Danke vielmals Jutta aber sehr  traurig wann ich habe diese Nachruf gelesen!  Tschuess.  David Oliver/SATX
Sue Rutter
#19 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:22:12 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Updating the changes in Garmisch, Golf course has seen it’s last season with AFRC, Camp Ground  Office and store is now closed during the winter, Hausberg dining facility is now run by the Werdenfelser Hof ( 15 Decemaber)  as of next year (rumor has it) the ski school will be contracted out .  Starting construction next spring the old International Grill and bowling ally will be demolished and a shopping mall built. The Von Steuabn is now an Retirement home   The old Abrams Hotel is only employee housing and for all those old Annex dwellers you would now have a internet café, gym, movie theater, indoor and out door recreation areas to include  several BBQ areas complete with grills and picnic tables BUT NO DOSERS

Happy Holidays from snowy Garmisch

mike baxter
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 1:39:06 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members

hello to all I was on ski patrol 77-78 season. I really would like to hear from anyone that was there sametime