Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hey Andy, No politics here, please!!!
Devlin_Crose
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2003 9:30:23 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Jim:  I seem to remember Eberhardt pouring drinks too!

Anyone know what happened to Bernard Bruckdorfer?

dinerouk
#3 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2004 11:41:28 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

The legendary Danny Grandfield
Jerry Lines
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 29, 2004 7:56:33 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hey Pat , good to hear from you guys, , I remember Eberhardt , he worked the lifts on the Zugspitze,would sometimes be at the old last chance, as for Bernhardt Bruckdorfer, he is running the Kreuzack, the lodge between the Hausberg and the Osterfelder,remember it had that small single chair lift? Don't know what it has now.

Was in GAP this summer and got to see some folks, took lots of pics {will try to post them on site} lots of changes but alot the same, but you can forget about getting on the kasern now, unless you've got ID. Guns, guards, barriers security everywhere WMD!!

Hope one day to make it to the reunion, still living in "jolly ol england" oy Merry Poppins fancy a cuppa, still working on my Dick Van Dyke english accent LOL. Hi to all the Gappers in NV and Happy birthday, wish I was there.

Later and all the best Jerry

potalaworld
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 29, 2004 7:56:52 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Everybody,

I knew Eberhardt very well, he often fell out of the Last Chance after drinking an astonishing amount of beer & schnapps.  I remember when I worked for the Bayerische Zugspitzbahn in 76 one of the farmers that worked on the Osterfelder said to me, “ Du, Andre Es gibt plus zwei Auslander hier ” & I said “Nein Ich bin der einzige Auslander” & he said “ Nein, Eberhardt auch”, & I said Eberhardt Kommt aus Frankfurt” & he said “Genau, zwei Auslander”! Those Bavarians are a race of their own. I wonder if Eberhardt is still in Garmisch, he would have had to modify his boozing somewhat because sober he was a lovely guy, but drunk, which was often he could get very aggressive, & wanting to fight. One day on his birthday in the Rosenstuberl, Eberhardt had something like 20 beers & 20 schnapps I mean a fatal amount & he wanted to drive home!.  We did have some great times in the Chance, with Frau Drexl, & then Sonja afterwards, & all the great people who hung out there.

potalaworld
#6 Posted : Friday, October 01, 2004 6:24:42 AM

Medals:

Groups:

It is amazing that anyone would really want to ski on the kreuzeck in the first place because the Osterfelder is 10 times better. I worked on the kreuzeck for one winter & the people who ran it were awful, it was just Georgie & me a lot of the time which made it a bit more palatable. I remember this guy from the Berlin ski schule, Norbert, & he dressed in the old fashioned clown type ski clothes, big leather boots, tight black pants, & one of those hats with a pompom that hung down to his waist. One time when it was busy, I did the usual, stuck him into the chair & closed the bar & turned to the next skier, do the same, & when I am about to stick the next one in the lift, I hear this plaintive wailing “Hilfe, hilfe”! I look up & somehow Norbert has managed to fall partway out of the chair & is hanging 20 feet in the air, holding on to the armrest! I had to stop the lift then reverse it, to get him down & of course Herr whatever his name was blamed me. Glad to hear Eberhardt is still doing well,

Drew (Andreas : my skilift name) Failes

ObnoxKev
#7 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2006 3:15:32 AM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Oh, yeah, as if I never made (or lost) any friends there.  Thanks for leaving me out, b*st*rds...

Obnoxious Kevin / GAP 82=88

Devlin_Crose
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2006 1:11:52 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Whoa - Don - you have been busy.

I'll check out your site.  Mine is sno-valley.com when you have a chance.

What did you wife think of the GAP?  I've not been back since our time on the patrol.

Let me know if you find any pix of the olden goldens!

Devlin

SMayer
#9 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2006 8:03:41 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hey Gos....  I happen to know that on at least ONE occasion, the bartenders (well Dannie for sure) were away from their duties because they had to help clean up some poor Russian Institute woman (I think we called her the spy because she would sit there, in her trench coat, drinking Orange Juice and not talking to anyone...) who got a full weizen dumped on her by some crazy way-too-drunk woman (ahem) who didn't need 'just one more' drink on her birthday.... were you there that night? 

I think you need to add Doug Brooke to the list of Hippy Bar-tenders.  I have some archive photos of opening night and it's Fat Paul Sexton and Doug and.... hmmm... you, perhaps?  I haven't looked at the photo in a long time.... it's in a box around here 'somewhere'. 

What a place that was.  Seems I was usually 'tending at some OTHER bar (golf course, campground) in town when the action was at the hippy bar.  Maybe it's for the better. 

Prosit!   Sue

SKANK
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2006 7:37:23 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Thankyou Dannie and Jim, for without Happy Hour I would not be here today.  I would have starved back then.  The free food was my breakfest lunch and dinner, remember the chicken wings.  Danny use to chase me out as I did'nt even have enough dosh to buy a beer. Belive me, I was not alone pleanty hanged out for the freebies.  

potalaworld
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 08, 2006 4:28:09 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Sue, What are you up to? I havent seen you since Benares in 83 or so, & have been to Garmisch once in 2002 since 1982. I missed the Hippy Bar, but you could call The Last Chance that since we would always be rolling numbers & puffing away there. I still go to Asia every year to Tibet, Nepal, Bali & Thailand. India I havent been since 2001 but I went every year from 1978 till then & swam in the holy Ganga every time, wonderful place I need to go again. Rachel & I are 3 hours north of manhattan, & 2 1/2 hours west of Boston on 40 acres in the Berkshires, great place & the Democrats finally put a dent in the lying, corrupt, hypocritical Republicans. Yes!

Drew (Andy)Failes

potalaworld
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 09, 2006 4:36:29 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Last I heard there was freedom of speech in this country, no use hiding.
potalaworld
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 09, 2006 4:36:56 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Last I heard there was freedom of speech in this country, no use hiding from reality.
Devlin_Crose
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2006 5:21:04 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hey:

Anybody remember the hippie bar in Garmisch.  Esp. 1983-84?

Drop a line!

Devlin

Dan Bishop
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2006 7:36:58 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi,

That's about all I remember it was my second home. I lived in Garmisch in the early 80s (can’t remember exact dates, I will look through my old records later on). I worked at the campground bar making pizzas, bowling alley, alpine shop and a few other places. The people I remember the most were Donna Gugel, Big Bill Wormley, Ted, Danny Granfield, Kevin Maloney, Bonny, Joe Rodriguez, Joel Samuels, Maxine, Susan, Nigel, Sweat, Etc and bunch of Brits. It was a long time ago; I'm surprised I remembered so many. These were great times.

I now live close to Seattle

rickysums
#16 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2007 12:20:07 PM

Medals:

Groups:

What memories the words Hippy Bar  bring back. I've just scanned through the previous replies and everyone seems to remember names. I can't remember any names but my association was to book all the live music, through Hotel Ops, during the winter of 84/85. Do you remember "Hence Cadence"? a German/US/UK mix doin' a mixed bag of Med/soft rock/covers/and original material. Also there was "Sticky Jam" a mix of local talent and members of bands playing the local AFRC venues (I can only recall 1 name - Steve Foskett on drums. My aging memory can't recall any more names but all the bands we had sure "kicked arse". Me? I jammed a few times but I was on the drums playing full time at the Gen Abrams with Times Square (and there lies another 100 stories!) Roger (Animal)

Devlin_Crose
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2007 6:15:17 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hey Don!

Long time eh?  Yep its me.  Only now I wear contact lenses. I remember the dance floor rotating - only sometimes it was us eh?  I'm living in WA state near seattle and actually taught skiing this year.  I have two kids (5/7) who are on their way to being good little skiers.

How about you?  Whats new?

Devlin

coley
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:30:50 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Jimmy, I wondered when you were going to show up on the site. This is Brian (Coley) used to hang out with Ronny, Franky, Carolina Jimmy, Mark, Maggie,Belinda, Barney, Bakey,Jackie, Japanese Janet etc and worked at the Grill ( before transferring to the G.Abrahams ) with maggie,Tops wife Babs and  the unforgetable Lee Folio farentino the kung foo expert who was a good friend to have!!.  Ronny and me had many a good night in the Hippy Bar on beers won on the pool table from you yanks, I believe that Scouse Ronny is still there but his sister Barbara (Babs) has since moved to Oregon? with her chap. I remember one afternoon at the HB when we had a cracking thunderstorm the lightening from which split the tree at the side where several of the Turkish mob were sheltering - I never seen a Turk move so fast especially given that they were all on the disabled ticket. We used to play soccer on the pitch next to the Bar and pile in there afterwards for a Radler or two?? Some of the best days of my life were spend over there and its great to hear from you all again. Say hello to Danny.  Best Brian   

Marc Ritter
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:20:02 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all, I don´t know if this thread is dead after 9 years, but maybe someone out there is still there ...

My name is Marc Ritter, grew up in Garmisch, helped the band Hence Cadence as a "roadie" in 83-85. Today, I am an author (visit www.marcritter.de) and I am planning on making a documentary about the Hippie Bar in those times.

I would like to ask you if you could provide me with pictures and names and whereabouts of people working there, partying there - of course I do have the contact adresses of the former band members - I would be interested in guests and staff.

Your help is highly appreciated!

Thanks, Marc