Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Untag as favorite
Greetings from the class of 70-71
Photog101
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:12:48 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I was on Ski Patrol at the end of the 69-70 season in G-P and returned for the whole season of 70-71. I usually worked the Hausberg, but did rotations with everyone else. I taught my wife, at the time, to ski on the Zugspitz and we still laugh about it. She and I stayed in the Eibsee Hotel in the same room that my parents and I stayed in back in 1950 when my father took our family there.

I did a lot of photo advertising work for AFRC and submitted photos for the brochures that were used. I was also the photographer that took photos of the Casa Carioca when it burned to the ground, for the fire investigation.

The wife and I spent many hours in the International Bar and Grill. I ate most of my meals there while working the Hausberg. I also spent many hours AFN-Radio. Since I had quarters up in Murnau, and if I were just to inebriated, I would crash at different places in town, or even int he back seat of my '59 Chevrolet.

My second ex-wife destroyed many of my photos from my time in service, but if an when I come across any, I'll post them.

I'm glad that I finally found this place. I have read some posts that brought back good memories for this FOG.
"Photodoc"

AFRC Garmisch 1970-71

Photog101
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 11:30:30 PM

Medals:

In going through some of my old hard-drives, I came across one that had scans of my military papers and documents.

I went on to White Pass Mountain in Washington the following year.
"Photodoc"

AFRC Garmisch 1970-71

Photog101
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:21:13 PM

Medals:

In going through some old files, I came across this activity book from 1969-1970.

Click on the thumbnails to open a larger view.

I think that the pricing is interesting. Enjoy
"Photodoc"

AFRC Garmisch 1970-71

lambo
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:54:14 PM

Medals:

Groups: Administrators

Michael, glad you found our site. Do you remember Jim Panfil, Mike Lloyd, Stew Brown? If you perused this website you will know we just held our 38th Annual AFRC REunion in Red Lodge, Montana. WE hope you will be able to hoin us in the future. email me paul@afrcski.com
Photog101
#5 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 12:39:55 AM

Medals:

Thanx Paul:

At the present time, I am nursing a broken calcaneus (heel bone). Looks like I will be tied up for several more months with this dilemma. So this gives me time to goo through old papers, documents and photos. If I run across more, I'll post them for the rest to the board to peruse.
"Photodoc"

AFRC Garmisch 1970-71

jimpanfil
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:46:58 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members, Photo Posting

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Michael,
I was in GAP on several ocassions including 72-78.
I was a Ski Instructor / Hausberg ski rental manager and worked at the Golf Course in the Summer.

Was Scott Brown with AFN- Radio when you were there?
I hung out a bit with the photographer that took pictures of AFRC Ski weeks.

In fact I have a big photo enlargement he took in my office taken of me skiing the Hausberg.
I never really got Garmisch out of my system and moved back there twice 1989-90 and 1992-94
when I worked in Munich for a US based Semiconductor Company. I was last there for my Honeymoon with my second Wife in 2006.

Jim Panfil

Photog101
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:14:46 AM

Medals:

Jim:

I must have missed you by a year. 71-72 I was on White Pass Mountain WA and part of the Ft. Lewis Search and Rescue and that was my last years of ski patrol. Also over the years, my jobs kept me from the enjoyable snow ... I usually had to drive through it.

I do believe that the AFN announcer was Scott but I am really bad with names. I always had a camera with me and I took many photos of the guys on ski patrol, including the St Bernard (whose name I can't remember). I am still looking for photos that I can scan into the computer, but the ones that I need are in a storage unit that is out of state.

I also came across some old outdated film that has been exposed but not processed, when my father passed away a couple of years ago. I am looking at a coupole of places that will process out-of-date film. Most are color slides, but I am asking them to just bring up the images and skip the color to help enhance the images. We'll see what happens by the end of the year. Some of those rolls are from my trip to Vietnam, but I think that there might even be a couple of rolls that were from my short tour (2 years) in Germany.
"Photodoc"

AFRC Garmisch 1970-71

jimpanfil
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2014 6:26:01 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members, Photo Posting

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

The AFRC Garmisch announcer was Scott Brown. Any luck finding the pictures?
I will be at the reunion in Big Sky Montana next week.
Jim
Photog101
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2014 4:08:52 PM

Medals:

Actually still looking. I have been converting slides and photos to digital for over a year now, primarily for my family. Since Mom and Dad passed, the family has been on me about getting things converted for them. We have thousands of slides dating back to 1949 and photos even older. This in and of itself, has been a daunting task. Plus, I came across 20+ rolls of film that dated back to 1966, when I entered the Army. I got those processed at Film Rescue, but they were of pretty poor quality. I had to do some heavy post processing to get usable images.

I still have not come across the hard drive that I have been looking for, but I'll intensify the search.
"Photodoc"

AFRC Garmisch 1970-71