Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
von Steuben's Fate
bundok
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 10:21:06 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
The last time I wrote to this forum was in 2003 if I recall correctly & it does feel a bit odd. I seldom check out this site anymore since most every time I do it's seemingly about the latest reunion or some such & mostly doesn't have anything to do with me or Terri.Then again too I often forget the password. But today I was looking for my Korean Air login info & there was the AFRC one in the same notebook-why not just sign in? We're Lester & Terri, by the way.We don't reminisce about our years in GAP too much although at times something will come up and spark a memory.Just recently we passed our 28th anniv for being in Asia. It was early April 1986 that we left AFRC for new lives in the Philippines.Little did we know then it'd be the East forever:a few different countries, a few different lives, but still Asia. Over the years some Garmisch news has filtered in. I was very saddened to learn of the von Steuben's fate since many years of fine memories were tied up there. Sometimes I think back on those days and wonder how Herr Guggemoos managed to keep things together with the sheer amount of alcohol fueling the place. All of AFRC for that matter. What crazy wonderful times-how fortunate we all were to have been a part of that huge party called AFRC.
So time marches on & slows things down. The years are taking their toll and thoughts are filed with things like signing up for social security, not easy when they want your last w-2 and it was in 1986! Today on this site I downloaded the Bavaria short book & we've had fun browsing it and seeing people we knew mentioned and to recall those days. We can't figure out just who wrote it but whomever it was--good show! Back when we were leaving Gap we just threw all our stuff into cartons and shipped it APO super cheap space available mail. For 25 years all those things sat in my Mom's attic till about 3 years ago I had to go back to sort it all out. What a trip down memory lane that was. Everything was as it was packed; hundreds of cassettes of the music we were listening to then, various Garmisch t-shirts, mugs & coasters, lots of photos, concert & bier posters we'd had on the wall, the very clothes we wore.Fun but sad too to go through all that. Where did the years go?
There's no real purpose to this letter so no need to keep on rambling. Maybe it'll be sooner than 11 years before my next entry to this forum. Later.