Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Untag as favorite
Von Steuben Hotel
sid.alberts
#1 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2004 3:33:01 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm sure that many of you remember the Von Steuben. It is currently being demolished. Some photos at: http://www.flickr.com/ph...72157621439890608/show/ . Still no word on what will happen to the Patton.
1 user thanked sid.alberts for this useful post.
Old World Traveler on 7/7/2015
phosphateb
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2006 4:15:40 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
wow thanks for sharing...the demo made me ill. last time i was at the von S was after 9/11 and couldnt believe (but was glad) and armed guard was there...oh well..was a great beer store just down from there. things change in life and never stay the same. what are the germans putting in it's place?
majbill
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2006 9:53:32 PM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Sid, saw your email on this board. so thought I would wirte a message in case you may see it.  Contact me at bill.coke@us.army.mil.

Bill

karen.t
#4 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2007 9:43:26 PM

Medals:

Groups:

I lived and worked at the Steuben in the early eighties.  I remember my attic room as a haven.  I mostly worked breakfast and lunch shift in the restaurant, starting at 6.30am then having a quick siesta between 11 and 1130 to recover from the night before.  I remember Herr Guggemusse (sp?) telling me 'You haf no uzzer life!' when I complained about my hours!  Twice a year the hotel would close and the staff would go on an all expenses paid day out with the profits from the staff beer machine!  I think each beer cost about 50 pfennigs each so we must have consumed extraordinary amounts because we would get lunch, a coach trip and dinner with a band all included.  I remember Duncan and Uva the desk clerks, Chris Baldwin the hausmeister (now deceased) and Dave, also a hausmeister, Kirsten another waitress and a true soul mate who was one of my best pals, and lots of mad chefs and waiters.  What a great place to work.  Sad to hear it is being demolished but it is still alive and well in my mind!

Chris A
#5 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 5:14:11 AM

Medals:

Hi Drew,

Just got back from Grande Cache & Jasper - nice hikes for an old guy in both places. Although I didn't get there this time, I'm always reminded of the Partnachklamm by Jasper's Maligne Canyon. The winter icicles later in the year make both spectacular.

Never worked at the Steuben but I worked at the Green Arrow as a dishwasher in 72-73, followed by the Billeting Office and bowling alley as a cleaner in 73-75. 

When I started at the G.A., there were three of us, including Georg from Californian and another Guy whose name escapes me. Later it was just me, and just before I left, a Turkish guy who couldn't speak either English or German. I had to lead him by the hand literally, to show him what to do.

Steve Mills and tall Steve were on the desk when I was there and I think Doug later on. I think he may be the guy who couldn't wait to get to Morocco.

I remember Schultze well - a grand old man if a little mad. And Hans who, I was told though I never witnessed it; despite his relative youth, still celebrated a certain German ex-corporal's birthday.

Other waiters - Manuel spoke five languages and was pleasant. Lotte the magnificent spiced her conversation with lech mich am arsch! a guttural but effective punctuation for any eventuality; and my favourite and dear friend Tilly who is now in Passau - a warm, lovely and profficient server who made everyone's day better.

Chef Bruno was a friendly, efficient and forebearing man. Chef Lemmerman who I remember only by his last name because we didn't like each other. We had a set - to when he, seemingly deliberately, spilled a pot of spaghetti sauce and ordered me to clean it up. When I refused, he threw a meat- flattening utensil at me, missed, and nearly killed Karen (Slevinsky?) when it struck her on the head.

She was only grazed but I got hell from the hotel manager for upsetting the chef.  Lemmerman by the way was the one who we'd watch each night as he put the garlic bread in the oven and forgot about it. When the smoke pored out we'd all call Herr Lemmerman . . .

His assistant, and a joy to work with, was Italian Maria who'd make the pizzas from scratch. So many memories and individuals,and so many stories

Best to you and all from GAP/

dinerouk
#6 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 5:14:23 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

In the 70s I used to go the Green Arrow and its reincarnation, the General Abrams, quite often, to see my friends Sheamus and Mary (later secretary at the Hausberg), who worked there. I remember one incident involving the infamous Sweat the Dubliner, of whom I wrote in my book, thus:

'Having arrived for the first time in Garmisch, and along with other sundry dossers he was sleeping in Sheamus's room at the General Abrams Hotel. It was a period when occasional purges would take place among the American hotels and civilian quarters in an attempt to flush out all the undesirables, and one of the Hausfrau's, who were the eyes and ears of the establishment and in charge of the hotel bedrooms, etc, discovered this nest of unsavoury characters dossing on the floor of Sheamus's room and immediately ran off to report to the manager. In the hiatus, everyone had girded their loins and fled the scene. All that is except Sweat who, despite being harangued by a frantic Sheamus, only turned over in his bag. Eventually he decided to emerge at the last moment, just too late to avoid the manager, who walked in just as he had reached an upright position. The manager looked contemptuously at Sweat, his nose wrinkling as he took in Sweat's three day growth, creased shirt, the stained and ragged jeans and the evil-smelling sleeping bag that coiled round his ankles.

"Und vot are you doing here mein Herr?" said the indignant manager, Herr Hoffman.

"I'm fookin visitin if it's any of your business," retorted Sweat who, quite unperturbed by the whole situation, then turned his back on this petty official who had had the temerity to disturb his slumber. The manager was looking at Sweat in bewilderment and disbelief, his mouth opening and closing like a fish. Finally he muttered something about getting the MPs and left.

"It was then," said Sheamus, "that I realised Sweat was no ordinary dosser."

Some great times, indeed.

potalaworld
#7 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 5:15:03 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Yes, those were amazing times. I worked at the GA from February till May 1973, there was also big Frank dishwasher, from Washington state a right lazy bugger but very nice, who spoke German until he left Munich for the US when he was seven, & couldnt remember a single word. I would say Frank, its in there but he would just shake his head & say was, but gone! Rosie & Kim, were there too, & I remember the time we ate some brownies, the main ingredient was a little too much, & we all went to see 2001 a Space Odyssey at the AFRC theatre. We all had to leave because we thought it was the funniest movie we had ever seen, & a Colonel behind us was very pissed off at us cracking up! Maureen was a waitress there too, & I sort of juggled between glasswasher & night bellboy. Who was the mellow guy from Kansas? He was soooo mellow, yes Jack was his name, I think his brother came to GAP too, we called Jack Mellow Yellow because of his blonde hair.

Drew

potalaworld
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:59:27 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Chris, Funny, I worked in both those places & much preferred the green Arrow, it was a riot. Were you on the desk with Doug, the guy who wore a short wig over his long hair? And remember Herr Schultz, the head waiter, who would get pissed & then enact shooting the Russkies? I was the night bell boy or whatever & spent a lot of time in the Gis rooms getting high, they would usually ask me what tip I would like a couple of dollars or a bowl! great fun there, the nights playing pool with the airforce guys upstairs from the clinic. Remember we would have to send off a piece of our jobbies to a clinic in Munich? They gave us a wee wooden box & a spatula, which made one realise why the Germans have a shelf on their lavvy pans, so they can get a good look.
Chris A
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:51:29 PM

Medals:

Sad to see, although expected. Shame about the paintings on the walls too. I remember a night visiting friends Martine M., Nancy J. and others which culminated in several Nikoloschkas (sp?) which I believe consisted of a shot glass of cognac topped with a lemon on which were coffee and sugar on each side - eaten then followed by draining the glass. Enthusiastic discussion followed until the wee hours.

Any news about the fate of the Green Arrow/General Abrams?

Bill Sutherland
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 06, 2009 1:58:32 PM

Medals:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Wow those pictures bring back so many memories...even though I was in B'gaden... I remember the Von Steuben and the Patton well.