Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Sad News About Goldie
potalaworld
#1 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2004 2:18:07 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I have some very sad news about Goldie, Karen Anderson, she passed away on Friday night at a hospital in Koblenz, Germany, Bomber is needless to say devastated but grateful for all the messages of condolences from friends worldwide. Take a moment to think of what a beautiful person she was,
Drew (Andy) Failes
Sue Rutter
#2 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2008 2:36:50 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Dear Friends,
Many details are now more clear of Goldie's passing.  I have spoken to Bomber on the phone, as has his brother Roger and Bob Westergard.
Bob, Roger and I have been in contact with both Bomber and Goldies's mom, Ardell.  Roger will be leaving for Germany as soon as possible.
To add to his burden Roger and Bombers dad passed of a stroke last week so Roger and Kristy have been with his dad's wife taking care of services in Oregon.
I know all of you want to know as much as possible as soon as possible and we're trying our best to get this information to you and be accurate
at the same time.  Haus is also helping with all the networking so please excuse any repitition.  As you know, Bomber had gone to Pamplona for the
annual festival.  This was a joint decision by he and Goldie and she was adament about his going.  As of last Thursday, the 10th, she was well on her
way to full recovery.  Bomber had a long conversation with her that day and she was light and jovial.  She had been up walking around her room and
feeling fully on her way to recovery.  Friday was another good day and she had received the news that she would be able to travel by train to Garmisch
in the coming days.  The surgery was considered a total success and she was on the mend.  Early evening Friday she and her mother decided to call
it a night so they could both get some rest.  By all appearances she just drifted off to sleep thinking all was well.  Apparently about 10:00pm that evening the
monitors sounded the alarm to the nurses station that something terrible had gone wrong.  The latest word from her mom is that an embolism(sp)
had formed and more than likely traveled to her brain blocking blood flow.  The staff worked until 7:00am in the morning trying to revive her
and clear the problem to no avail.  Our beloved friend had passed.  Bomber, her mother, sister and brother will all be with her in Koblinz until her cremation
there on Wednesday.  As I said, Roger, having just burried he and Bombers father on Friday, is enroute back to his home in Nampa Idaho then off to
Germany as fast as humanly possible.  Probably late next week Goldie's ashes will be ready for her trip home to Garmisch.  Her mother Ardell, sister
Sue, brother Kevin, Bomber and probably Rog by that time will be taking her home to Garmisch.  There are no plans beyond that at this time.  Her
family is scheduled to return to the U.S. on the 23rd.  Glenda Westergard is obtaing the addresses and phone numbers for her family in Iowa and will be
sending that information to me shortly.  Of course I will pass that along immediately but as I said they won't be back in Iowa until the 23rd or 24th.
I've received dozens of calls and emails expressing total shock and grief.  The outpouring, as expected, is overwhelming.  We hope and pray that we
have reached all that would want to know.  Please forward this to any friends of Bomber and Goldie missing from either my list or Haus's.  
As you all know our extended Garmisch family is huge so any help is greatly appreciated.  I will continue to let you know as things develope but as
of today you know as much as I.  Bomber is devastated beyond words but was able to express his gratitude to me for the overwhelming response.
Best regards to you all,
Jim Milner    

Sue Rutter
#3 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2008 2:36:50 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Dear Friends,
Many details are now more clear of Goldie's passing.  I have spoken to Bomber on the phone, as has his brother Roger and Bob Westergard.
Bob, Roger and I have been in contact with both Bomber and Goldies's mom, Ardell.  Roger will be leaving for Germany as soon as possible.
To add to his burden Roger and Bombers dad passed of a stroke last week so Roger and Kristy have been with his dad's wife taking care of services in Oregon.
I know all of you want to know as much as possible as soon as possible and we're trying our best to get this information to you and be accurate
at the same time.  Haus is also helping with all the networking so please excuse any repitition.  As you know, Bomber had gone to Pamplona for the
annual festival.  This was a joint decision by he and Goldie and she was adament about his going.  As of last Thursday, the 10th, she was well on her
way to full recovery.  Bomber had a long conversation with her that day and she was light and jovial.  She had been up walking around her room and
feeling fully on her way to recovery.  Friday was another good day and she had received the news that she would be able to travel by train to Garmisch
in the coming days.  The surgery was considered a total success and she was on the mend.  Early evening Friday she and her mother decided to call
it a night so they could both get some rest.  By all appearances she just drifted off to sleep thinking all was well.  Apparently about 10:00pm that evening the
monitors sounded the alarm to the nurses station that something terrible had gone wrong.  The latest word from her mom is that an embolism(sp)
had formed and more than likely traveled to her brain blocking blood flow.  The staff worked until 7:00am in the morning trying to revive her
and clear the problem to no avail.  Our beloved friend had passed.  Bomber, her mother, sister and brother will all be with her in Koblinz until her cremation
there on Wednesday.  As I said, Roger, having just burried he and Bombers father on Friday, is enroute back to his home in Nampa Idaho then off to
Germany as fast as humanly possible.  Probably late next week Goldie's ashes will be ready for her trip home to Garmisch.  Her mother Ardell, sister
Sue, brother Kevin, Bomber and probably Rog by that time will be taking her home to Garmisch.  There are no plans beyond that at this time.  Her
family is scheduled to return to the U.S. on the 23rd.  Glenda Westergard is obtaing the addresses and phone numbers for her family in Iowa and will be
sending that information to me shortly.  Of course I will pass that along immediately but as I said they won't be back in Iowa until the 23rd or 24th.
I've received dozens of calls and emails expressing total shock and grief.  The outpouring, as expected, is overwhelming.  We hope and pray that we
have reached all that would want to know.  Please forward this to any friends of Bomber and Goldie missing from either my list or Haus's.  
As you all know our extended Garmisch family is huge so any help is greatly appreciated.  I will continue to let you know as things develope but as
of today you know as much as I.  Bomber is devastated beyond words but was able to express his gratitude to me for the overwhelming response.
Best regards to you all,
Jim Milner    

potalaworld
#4 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2008 9:24:24 PM

Medals:

Groups:

I just wanted to share some of the great times I had with Bomber & Goldie. I knew them in Garmisch & then was very surprised when Rachel & I arrived in Seoul, Korea, & found there were a whole bunch of Garmischers there including B & G.  We all stayed at the Daewon  & the Daeji Inn, & then we found a place next to the big Buddhist Monastery Chogye Sa called the Pusan Inn, & eventually B & G & two other friends Tony & Lucy moved in where we stayed for a few months. We would go out & party in Itaewon where there was a great Philipino band that could do Free Bird as well as Lynnard Skynnard themselves, & it was such a relief in the  police state of South Korea, with midnight curfews to let it all hang out.  Nights at Dougs & Marks, schemes to go to Japan & bring back cameras, calculators, coffee etc, it was so exciting, selling our goods to some giggling Mama San up a dark street in Seoul.. The black market for won. the marriages to Koreans, it was quite a time. I next saw them when I was riding a motor bike in Chiang Mai when I saw their unmistakeable figures in the street,  & Ill always remember the few nights we had together drinking beer & talking & sharing our travel tales. A few years later I was walking along Kaohsiang Rd in Bangkok & yes, there were B & G much to our joint surprise. A few more years went by & I am in a taxi in Kathmandu & once again we unexpectedly meet, so we went out to Deutsche Marks house & I continued to see them there then & for one or two years after that. I think that was the last time I saw them although we keep in touch & Goldie was still as beautiful & lively as the first time we met, like many of us, I am sad not to be able to see her once again,

Drew (Andy) Failes

barrystaples
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:26:53 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi All
This is Barry Staples, I lived in Garmisch from 1993-2000. I remember Goldie quite well from many a drinkin nights. Also, Bomber. Bomber you are in my thoughts buddy and prayers. Hang in there the best you can, as you know how wonderful Goldie was and also remember you have so much support from your GAP family. Everyone loved Goldie, and as for you my friend, I remember the clutch hits always from you at the softball field.
Out
Barry-(Tiny B)
PlanetJanet
#6 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2008 8:03:32 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Memorial Service for Goldie

Hallie and I have been talking about getting a memorial gathering of friends here in Colorado - Denver/Boulder area.  Everyone is welcome, of course.  We're thinking about Saturday mid-afternoon, 7/26.  Issue is how to get in touch with everyone - particularly her brother, as I believe he still lives in Boulder.  A couple of years ago, Goldie was visiting and there were a lot of GAPers that live in Boulder that were quite a bit younger than me (after my time!!) that were at Juanitas for the evening get-together.  It would be nice to get in contact with as many people as possible to make it a party.  Hard for me to say those words today, as I am really grieving.  Each day just seems worse.  But we'd like to really celebrate her memory with those nearby.  Anyone interested, contact me at jplanetgap@yahoo.com.  Jim Milner, I would really like to contact you.  I appreciated the story you posted on the blog, and am greatly concerned about Bomber, and would like his contact information.

Thanks to everyone - and love always

PlanetJanet

potalaworld
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:10:03 PM

Medals:

Groups:

There was a large ceremony on Goldie in Garmisch last week, quite a turnout, & you can see the pics at http://www.flickr.com/ph...sets/72157606247375047/
really quite beautiful,
Best wishes to all,
drew failes
PlanetJanet
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:23:46 PM

Medals:

Groups:

I have set up a blog so everyone can share and celebrate Goldie's life, so we can have some sort of community for all of us GAPers around the world to share what Goldie has meant to us all.  Please forward this to anyone and everyone that knows Goldie - particularly Bomber and her mother. 

Here is the link to access the Blog - titled CelebrateGoldie

http://celebrategoldie.livejournal.com/

May this provide us all with an element of peace and happiness

XOX

Planet Janet