Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Merry Xmas in Calcutta
potalaworld
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2003 4:23:25 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)

A Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year to all the people who spent their time in Garmisch, Chiemsee & Berchtesgaden, I had many wonderful Xmases there mainly at the Grill partying the night away.

We have lived for 24 years on 40 acres right on the border of Mass & Vt in Petersburg, NY & having a very(2 feet of snow) white Xmas.  But I would say our most memorable Xmas was in Calcutta in 1979, I got a guy from the market to bring the biggest basket of flowers I had ever seen in lieu of a tree, & we went to St Andrews Church of Scotland for the service on Xmas day, & every beggar in Calcutta was lined up outside crying “Merry X- Mas it is the time of giving!” Anyone else spend Xmases in exotic locations?

Drew Failes

potalaworld
#2 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2008 9:24:24 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Chris, Hope all is well up there. We are getting tons of snow this year, but unfortunately it has fallen during the holidays & the ski slopes are a zoo now during this time. I spent losar Tibetan New year in Lhasa in 1985, that was great, there were only maybe ten foreigners & we had great parties at Tibetans houses drinking chang & tongba. There were maybe 50,000 Lhasa inhabitants then, now there are 300,000 mostly Chinese immigrants. Yukk! I had one Xmas & New Year in Kyoto & Tokyo, & later received a photograph from Bob & Barb Collier of us at a party in Kyoto. One of his friends was showing him the pics, & Bob said, “Andy & Rachel! We never talked to his friend unfortunately. Tokyo was great because a radio station paid us $25 each to come & drink their Scotch & eat their food & make Gwalio noises. First we went to the Meiji Shrine, along with 3 million Japanese,  my friend Tony & I dropped some acid, wow what a trip, especially squeezing ourselves into the subway with the aforesaid 3 million Tokyoites. The whole shebang, the Japanese uniformed crammers et al. This year we just went up to our friends in Vermont only a half hour away & since I was planning on driving back in the snow, I was stone cold sober, but I made up for it with champagne & prosecco the next night.

have a great year,

Drew Failes

Chris A
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:10:03 PM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Hi Drew,

Haven't heard from you in a while but best to you this season.

I had a fine and typical ex-pat Christmas in Granada, while travelling south to Morrocco. A couple of wonderful Vikings from Iceland had picked me up on the road after un unfortunate encounter with a Spanish driver who thought I was too handsome for words, and tried to use his hands some.

Addi and Gusti and I later spent a liquorless New Year's Eve in Tangiers I believe but the week before, we and another Canadian, and an American and perhaps one more gathered for an impromptu potluck meal and copious amounts of refreshment. (Icelanders pay a lot for liquor and Spain was soooo cheap . . .) All I remember of the meal was the fruit salad I made in a plastic bag. And no it wasn't the result of overindulgence.

One of the most memorable meals I had though was in about 1974 or 75 when about 20 of us put together a giant dinner, with two PX turkeys, 3 or 4 salads, heaps of vegetables and the usual recreational substances at the Sheridan Annex in GAP.

I oversaw most of the cooking but was assisted by most of the people in one way or another. English Julie, Scottish girlfriend of Aussie Jim, Canadian Doug, American Early (perhaps) and numerous others took part. Somewhere I have pics. It was the way we all found our homes in each other for that period of our lives (72 -75 for me) that still warms my heart, and I'm certain all AFRC alumni, civilian or military.

Some friends from that time remain friends still; Addi the Icelander among them, along with Aussie Helen, Kiwi Kathie, French Martine, Canadian singer Pete, and even yourself, Drew.

I was in Jasper, West of  my home in Alberta, for Christmas with my lady, and all the while I was there I kept thinking of the ski slopes of the Hausberg and Zuzspitz, the streaking run during Fasching,  and the,snow in Garmisch on the Bavarian houses, on the Werdenfels ruins, on the Pflegersee Gasthof,and the forty foot icicles hanging down the side of the Partnachklamm. (Jasper's Maligne Canyon is similar in some ways.)

I was never much of a downhill skier (working six days a week made it hard to do) and I only ski cross country these days (also poorly and not for long) but somehow the smell of the snow and the mountains brings back the good days that weren't dependent on being a hard-core powder hound but made the prospect of hanging out with those who'd just come down from the slope, a joyous one.

Even a tanglefoot can enjoy a Loewenbrau and a Sauer Fritz.in good company.

Much happiness to you and all our AFRC pals.

Chris

Tim Conklin
#4 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 1:07:49 AM

Medals:

Groups:

We had a memorable Christmas on one of the out islands of Fiji. Villagers at the missionary church singing carols. Fun time.

Tim Conklin