Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
GAP Ski School 1978-79
inklake
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2003 7:49:38 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Thanks for the welcome Paul. It's a testament to the good times we all had in Garmich, Chiemsee or Berchtesgaden that people write in 30 or 40 years after the fact to reconnect with that experience.

Unfortunately, no, I haven't been able to keep in touch with friends from that time. There are quite a lot of names. I found someone in a thread posted in 2004 or 2005 -- Geoff (schlumpfe) -- and he listed many of the same names that I knew. It was a really busy time and we all went our different ways after work, but some of the people I knew were: the inimitable Sanny Day, Randy + Monika, Debbie, Hubert, Herbert, Hans, Willi, Frieda, Caroline Braun, Dave Steffes (instructor after being ski patrol for several years), Bill, a tall African-American dude who had the best sense of humor in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and always had his ski classes in stitches (I can still hear him bellowing "That's life in the mountains!!" whenever almost anything happened), a lot of the folks from the Breitenau Kaserne where my roommate, Jeremy Aziz and I had a place, Dee, Jack (GAP doctor at the time) and his wife Anne, Minta Miller, Cols: Jenrette and Miller, and a few friends at the Annex whose names I have forgotten. It's funny how many people you can know on only a first name basis.

I'm a Canadian, based in Vancouver, British Columbia (ski paradise). I've been a television producer for the last 15 years after several years of living abroad in Germany and Norway (where I taught some Armed Forces employees at the Holmenkollen ski area that hosted the 1956 Olympics). I went to university in Oslo and that's also where my first daughter was born. Most recently I've been working as a sports producer -- doing features for Athens, Torino, and Beijing. I can post links if anyone is interested.

Also, if anyone wants to know what I look like, I've posted my flickr photography page. Maybe you'll see me and say "hey I knew that *****". Here's the link again -- http://www.flickr.com/people/inklake/ .

Whether I knew you before or not, it would be great to share memories of that fine area. I've been back a couple of times since -- once in 1993 to study at the Murnau Goethe Institut in the summer and fall -- and the place still had exactly the same charge it had for me in 1978 when I saw it for the first time. I was very young when I arrived then -- I had just had my 18th birthday and I was hitching across Europe. I had a dream of teaching skiing in the Alps and had an appointment in Innsbruck for a tryout there.

On the way, on a Munich friend's recommendation, I stopped in to talk with Col. Jenrette and announced I was looking for a job. He looked at me, a young kid with hair past his shoulders and a scraggly 18 year old's "beard", and said, "hmmm, my sons's name is Kevin, why don't you go see this guy (a barber), clean up a bit and we'll talk". Jenrette was like a surrogate Dad for me that year, and the kindness I enjoyed from about October to May-June when I left, was outstanding. I really haven't met so many great people in one place ever since. Must be something about living in paradise that puts people in good spirits.

Anyway, about Whitefish, it sounds tempting. It's about a 12 hour drive from my house in Vancouver, and I've done that before to go to Banff or Jasper in Alberta. I could get there, but I don't know if I can take the time off. I'm hoping some funding comes through for a Vancouver 2010 project and I might have to work right around that time. Haven't I already missed the deadline?
inklake
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2003 7:54:37 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hmmm. I hope no one minds reading huge blocks of text. I wrote all that with paragraphs, but when posted it came out as a wall without any formatting. Wieder hören ...
lambo
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2004 3:40:28 PM

Medals:

Groups: Administrators

Hi Kevin,

Gad you found the site. Where are you now and what do you do? Any chance you are going to make it to Whitefish for the reunion in March?

Are you in touch with any of your friends from then? I keep a data base of over 400 names and we let everybody know about our reunions and anybody is always welcome. We have folks fromt the early 60's to as recent as the early 90's show up at these reunions and it is no matter where you were in AFRC. Garmich, Chiemsee or Berchtesgaden. It is all good.

Paul S. Lambres

aka AFRCPaul

niekto
#4 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2005 11:41:24 PM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Photo Posting, Registered

Robert was a German. I don't remember any Americans that year named Bob. I do, however, have a group photo of the ski school. It shows all but 3 of the instructors in the school that year. I also have their names. Unfortunately, I don't have the photo with me, and I won't be able to post it until next autumn.
inklake
#5 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2005 11:41:24 PM

Medals:

Groups:

You're right. It was Bowie and Sally now that I think of it. They were the attractive power couple of the AFRC the year I was there. He must have stopped teaching skiing and taken over the ski shop -- although I don't really understand why he would do that.

He was clearly the elite ski instructor in Garmisch the season I was there. Funny thing about his name was that I skied with a lot of the German instructors, along with Randy and Bowie, and they did a lot of expert clinics for us. We always skied real fast when we skied together. The Germans always referred to him as Booowiee and I figured it was some nickname they had given him. Now I realize it was his actual name. lol.

Thomas, did we ever meet in Garmisch? I was only there until May 1979. Were you an instructor or ski patrol?
thomas
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2005 12:19:47 AM

Medals:

Groups:

you might be thinking of Bowie Alward and his wife sally who ran the sports store i believe

Bowie last time i saw him was banging around the Vail Colorado area

niekto
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2005 1:12:08 AM

Medals:

Who was the director of the ski school that year?
inklake
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2005 12:34:51 AM

Medals:

Groups:

It was Bert Hilgers. He passed away the following year and then Willi took over. Were you working there at the time?
niekto
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2005 12:38:09 AM

Medals:

No.  I worked for Robert Aschenbrenner during the winter of 1886-87.
thomas
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:17:12 PM

Medals:

Groups:

i worked for Bernhard Bruckdorfer for a few winters TDY doing week long ski thing for the skweekers, we skied with the group at the three garmisch areas then went one day a week to austria. in spare time we put on all the ski races, xc and downhill

not sure we did meet or i am drawing a blank

i am in us now Utah to be exact, spent quite a few years in colorado and did a stint with Vail Resorts Development Company and would see Bowid and Franco once in awhile in Vail

tom

Jerry Lines
#11 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2005 1:49:33 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Tom, How've you been? Last I knew you were living in Georgetown Co. I'll send you an email to the wolf creek address. take care Jerry
inklake
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:52:01 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Was he German or American? There was a great skier named Bob -- he had the highest level of certification the year I taught -- on our staff. He was American. His wife's name was Sally I believe. Great guy. Always friendly. I remember going on a lot of runs with him. He gave out tips very freely and really improved some of the finer points in my skiing.
inklake
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:02:46 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Are you based in Germany or the US now?
inklake
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2006 11:41:54 PM

Medals:

Groups:

I taught for one season at the Hausberg and Zugspitze in GAP in the winter of 1978-79. I've seen one picture in the Photo Gallery of some of us. My name is Kevin Teichroeb and I was a ski racer who was hitching through Europe and had the good fortune of meeting Col. Jenrette and having him set me up for a tryout with the AFRC ski instructors.

What a great year it was! I notice that a lot of you here are from BRA but I wonder how many had friends in GAP during the 1978-79 season.

Anyway, hello! This site is a great idea.
Jerry Lines
#15 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 10:36:41 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Tom what is your new email? I have 3 different ones.