2 Pages12>
Tag as favorite
Where do you ski now?
Skip
#1 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2003 5:42:36 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Lambo, I cannot make it the reunion due to my wife's health. Wish I could. Really wish I could. We did drive through there a couple of months ago. What an incredibly beautiful place. Pleas tip a glass for all of those that wish were there.
Skip
#2 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2003 5:42:36 PM

Medals:

Groups:

@inklake, I still ski the old long boards but not for anything except the finest of AFRC traditions: I'm a cheap Ba#$tard. But I do ski the newfangled shaped ski anytime I can get someone to front me some demo's. I worked in B'gdn at the sport shop and after moving back to the states I lived in Bishop Ca. for a few years where I also skied just about every gully and chute I could find along hwy. 395. That said. I am a much more experienced faller than any type of skier. Thanks again, Skip
Skip
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 9, 2003 7:43:32 AM

Medals:

Groups:

I'm an old school telemarker. (Quit laughing) I was able to spend a lot of time kicken' around the backcountry in the Sierra. I skied the Muir Trail as well as several trips across the Sierra.

That said, I too love the Tahoe Region and had a season pass at both Alpine Meadows and Squaw for several years. Now I live in Notheast Washington and can ski out my backdoor. I have really learned to appreciate the powder of northern Idaho. It is for me as good as anything in Utah. (Well, almost.) Let me add the name of Silver Mountain to the list. Red Mountain just on the other side of the border in Canada is also a favorite as well. Thanks, for the thread inklake, Good job, signed, Skip
lambo
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2003 10:15:21 PM

Medals:

Groups: Administrators

You bet'cha! I think a lot of us still ski. As you might imagine, we live all over the states as well as the rest of the world. I ski around Lake Tahoe since there are about 20 ski areas within a couple hours of each other. Many of the group still work in the industry at some level. Jackson Hole, Snow King, Sun Valley, Steamboat, Park City, Mt. Hood Meadows, Sugar Bowl, and so on. That is one of the reasons we have been so fortunate in having these reunions at such a variety of ski resorts all over the West. Hell, we would go to the East as well if someone would volunteer to put one on back there! (Hint, Hint!).
inklake
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2003 5:44:02 AM

Medals:

Groups:

@ lambo -- Lake Tahoe sounds great. I figured you were all big skiers ;) It's like vicarious travel to hear where ... after working in Garmisch and Oslo, I went to university in Toronto and there was no skiing to be found. For about 10 years I didn't get much of a chance to ski on a decent mountain. So, I know what it's like to be starved for some challenging skiing. Lambo, it sounds like you have your pick of the best!
inklake
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2003 5:47:54 AM

Medals:

Groups:

@ Skip -- You won't hear me laughing. I love telemark. When I was in Oslo I took some lessons from a phenomenal tele-skier. I ski on telemark skis about 1/3 of the time, especially when I'm skiing with my daughters. When you say "old school" do you mean you don't use shape skis? I still use shape skis, just with tele bindings and tele boots. I'm totally envious of the powder you must have in NE Washington. That's the nice light poww that everyone out here on the coast dreams of.
inklake
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2004 5:27:07 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Sorry about the double post. Anyone know how to retain the html formatting in messages?
inklake
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2004 12:19:21 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Doesn't anybody ski anymore?
Skip
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2004 8:51:29 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Bill, I love Bishop!!! And know Mammoth Mountain well. I even worked a maid in Mammoth. Dave McCoy is someone I admire greatly. I also worked as the wilderness ranger up Pine Creek Canyon. You may know it. It is the canyon next to Mt. Tom (North
side.) Which also has a famous telemark ski tour on it called Elderberry canyon. One of my favorites. Skip
Bill Sutherland
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2004 8:51:29 PM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Skip;

Yea those years (74-75) were learning years. I should have stayed in the Army instead I ended up earning $9. an hour, and working on the mountain on ski patrol and then later one season for Max Good as a ski instructor. I remember trying to do the telemark turn back in late 75..... but for a racer style skier it wasn't easy. I remember Dave McCoy well also, used to find him up and running the cat back then when we would use dynamite for avalanche control on the upper lifts, (that was right after two of the patrolman had two one pound charges explode prematurely so he was always around Chair 1... or in his office on the main hill back then...And didn't he have two sons also working on the mountain?
inklake
#11 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2004 7:04:25 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hey Skip, I just had my first day on telemark skis today. Arggghhhh!! That is hard on the quads!
Bill Sutherland
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2004 7:04:25 PM

Medals:

I know Bishop very well, the annual bull riding it was always fun, while working at Mammoth Mtn. -
lambo
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:30:48 PM

Medals:

Skip and Bill
Kandi McCoy was the stunt double for 'Jill' and Perry Thompson was the stunt double for 'Dick Buek'. Dick Buek never lived down there and in fact, their 'romance' used a lot of poetic license for the movie. Steve Ahnmark and I spent about 4 hours with Jill at her house in Bishop in January of 2002 and had a marvelous visit.
Dick Buek did die in an airplane crash, but he was not on the way to Bishop. He and another guy were in the other guys plane while Dick's plane was being fitted for deicing equipment. The plane they were flying supposedly froze up and that was that.
keith
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:30:48 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Dick Buek house was 3 doors down from mine in Soda Springs, CA. After leaving Garmisch in '69 I moved to Soda Springs... I lived there for 15 years and woke up each winter morning and have to decide where to ski...5 areas on the Summit and then at Lake Tahoe Alpine & Squaw... I now live near Portland, OR and my ski choices are Hood & Hood or drive down to Bend for the best skiing in Oregon at Bachelor....

Bill Sutherland
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2005 5:01:26 PM

Medals:

Skip;

How well do you know Lake Crowley? In the middle of January 1975 in the dead of winter at night, I went up there with four other guys, (fishing season has long passed)...cut a hole in the ice and caught for myself something like 15 fish. They caught something like over 100 fish that night too... Then in the weeks to follow, and after eating about 5 of them I left the rest in the freezer of my roommates house. I left for Southern California, and while he also left, to visit down south, and the electric company shut off the electricity on him, about 5 weeks later he came home and almost passed out of the smell...apparently it took weeks to dissipate??

...- I think he threw out the freezer too!!

Skip
#16 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2005 5:01:26 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Bill, Yes I know Crowley well. I lived for a while in Tom's Place. Also, very interesting about your involvement in the movie, "The other side of the mountain." I have met Jill many times (She is still a teacher at Bishop High) and lived in Round Valley where they filmed the sceanes where she and Dick supposedly lived next door to each other. I lived in his house and my land lord the Sherref of Inyo County lived in the other. What a small world. While I lived in the area after you did it seams it stays the same. And don't go dissin Sierra Cement. It always turns into the best korn I have ever skied in the world. You can go anywhere in the Sierra because of it. Thanks for the info. Skip
Skip
#17 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2005 10:54:12 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Bill, I looked into Jill to be sure my info was correct. And true to form I was wrong. She retired from Bishop High in the late 90's. Skip
Skip
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2005 4:46:43 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hey inklake, I feel your pain. With the way I ski I find it harder on my face when I do the plant. :-) Congratulations on your first tele. Us old guys gotta show them youngsters how it used to get done in the old days. Good luck to you. Keep your knees bent.

Skip
Skip
#19 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2005 4:46:43 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hey Bill,

Great story about Dave McCoy. You describe him well. He was a one man working machine and had his hands on every aspect of his business as long as he could stay involved. And yes, I am pretty sure he has 2 sons as well. For a little Mammoth trivia and why it is such a great mountain to ski: Mammoth is a unique Mt. on the east side. I am sure you know this but others may not: If you look from the west side of the Sierra they seem like one continues range from Bakersfield all the way to Tahoe except for a subtle "V" around the Bass Lake area (The San Joaquin River.) As the storms back up from the Pacific they can't get over and funnel right up this "V" shaped canyon in a big way. At the other end (The eastern crest) there is only one thing keeping them from flowing straight on through. It is Mammoth Mt. This is why Mammoth will have tons of snow when every mountain around it has nothing. This is what Dave McCoy noticed and why after other attempts at starting resorts in the area he finally settled on there. Thanks again for the story. Skip
lambo
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 8, 2005 4:15:44 PM

Medals:

There are 6 McCoy children; 4 boys and two girls. Gary, Dennis aka 'Pancho' (1968 Olympian)), Carl and Randy as well as Penny (1966 World Championship Bronze medalist in slalom at Portillo and 1968 Olympian) and Kandi. I know that Gary, Dennis, Penny and Kandi were all involved in the ski area at various levels over the years. I would be my bottom dollar that Carl and Randy were as well.
Dave is now 94 and seems to be as great as ever!