Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
1969-1970
Lowell
#1 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2005 12:11:44 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)

I was in sheridan barraks with Stu, Mike, Mallie, and lived directly accross hall from Stu.

Had great time was TDY golf instructor.

Gator was best man in my wedding in December of that year we flew back to the states.

good hearing from you spent few nights at sojias sure we met several times.

Lowell summer 76 GAP

Cookie
#2 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2005 11:41:24 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Chuck,

I was saddened to hear that your old man, the Commander, had passed away.  He called me the Sleeping Jesus  because I used to power nap in the basement of the Grill on my breaks from working for that bartender from hell...I mean Austria.  What a piece of work.  He really watched out for all of us in one way or another.  Our routine took us to dinner at the Chance, the movie bus to the Grill and close out the bar with a finish in the Kellor, downtown.  The achives have some good stories for the old Gappers from myself and Father Foley but it was the perfect place at the perfect time and we all knew it.  We have lost a few good people over the years and if there is a heaven, it has to be how we all remember Garmisch....the perfect place at a perfect time.  If your mom is still around, plz give her my regards.  Spader, Cookie Monster..(72-74)  .Stuck in Pittsburgh.     

lambo
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2005 12:12:37 AM

Medals:

Groups: Administrators

Fats, It is Chip Young who passed away last August.
We have had 4 reunions in Steamboat and there are still 10 or so AFRC types who still live there. Can't believe you missed the one in '82. We made a mess of the Ramada Inn. It was in late March.
Had at least 90 folks at that reunion.
Lambo/AFRC Paul
Walt
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2006 6:32:46 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Thom, are you the T-Bird Thom we all remember?  If you are, as crazy as you were in Garmisch, it's amazing that you're still alive.  Fond memories.  Take care.

Walt Pachucki, 71-72

dhj3kim
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2006 6:56:52 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Anybody else from the 1969-1970 era?  I joined the patrol and spent the winter in Garmisch.  I lived in a log cabin in Grainau (small village on the way to the Eibsee).  My nickname was Fats. 
chucksklrst
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2006 6:07:07 PM

Medals:

Groups:

I was on the Water Patrol in B-Gaden from May 1970 to Nov 1970. You are right, not many from the 1970 era. Met my wife in Salzburg that summer. Best 6 months of my 20 years in the military,  not to say anything about the rest of my life.

Chuck Henderson
4810 Belair Blvd.
Wichita Falls,TX

hultsman
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 3, 2006 1:05:58 AM

Medals:

Groups:

I was at Chiemsee from 1968 to January 1970. I was the medic and knew all the hotel folks as well as the numerous water and ski patrollers. I have made contact with but one from that era, John Mavis. I knew a few from Garmisch and BGaden and lots from Bad Aibling,etc......havent seen many posts from our era.
potalaworld
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 3, 2006 3:27:04 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi, I worked in the PX in Garmisch for Alexandre of Leeds selling suits for a month or two & afterwards was followed by another Glaswegian who stayed about a year. I knew quite a few of the ski patrol & also the MPs, Tommy Brown was one of them. We eventually stayed in a sort of commune in 1970 at Dreitorspitzstr. 64 with big Carol, Colin Hansen, John Gonzalves, Jim Cosgrove, Karl Heine, Capt. Steve Carlton, & a bunch of other crazy people. I guess Scotty Stratton & the guys in Herr Johannsen's house(The Galluci Brothers) were in 72. There was Jamie a  black dude, & a guy who got disabled a little in Vietnam, who made a couple of trips to Morroco on US airforce planes, & got back safely!. The Grill was wild, Charlie Henderson was running the place, & occasionally kicked us undesirables out. Maureen from Ireland worked at the Casa Carioca & The Last Chance had Frau Drexel there,

All the best,

Andy (Drew) Failes.

chucksklrst
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 9, 2006 8:21:08 PM

Medals:

Groups:

<<<<<<The Grill was wild, Charlie Henderson was running the place, & occasionally kicked us undesirables out. >>>>>>>

Charlie Henderson was my Dad.  I rember the times he kicked me out of the grill.

He passed away on 26 Sept 2003 in Marina California.

Chuck Henderson  (Water Patrol B-Gaden Summer 1970)
Wichita Falls, Texas

lambo
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2006 12:08:23 AM

Medals:

Thom,
Did you get the reunion info I sent you last fall? I thought it might have come back to me. I used the address that Chip had given me a few years ago. If you would email me at paul@afrcski.com I would like to chat with you.
As for Lange, he missed this reunion as well; seems he had a car race to go to! Dam pilots have enough money to put their kids behind the wheel of a race car.
AFRC Paul
lambo
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2006 3:33:02 PM

Medals:

Thom, What the hell is going on? Boy, you didn't respond to all the stuff I sent you the past few years. I had gotten you address from Chip on one of his trips up to Truckee/Lake Tahoe a few years ago. In fact we called you from my house once. Actually, you might not remember me; we only met once at a reunion in 1982 at Steamboat. You, Kim Adams and a couple other 'old' guys showed up and it was a jolly good time at that reunion as well.

I am sure you know that Chip has passed away and I am so pissed at him for that.

Anyway, nice to see you on the website and hope you can make it to one of our get togethers in the future. First week of March in Ogden to ski at Snowbasin. I will have info on this website as soon as I get thing all lined up. Skiing is just a bonus for these reunions, there are several folks who don't ski anymore but still have a great time just gettin together.

Paul S. Lambres

AFRC Paul

dhj3kim
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2006 7:23:50 PM

Medals:

Groups:

You had a reunion in Steamboat  in 1982 and didn't tell me?  I lived in Steamboat until 1985.  Al King lived there until about 1990.  Are you referring to Chip Moore, who died? 

Fats Jenkins

potalaworld
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2006 8:13:54 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Chuck, He was a good man your dad, he didnt always chuck us out, often he just let us longhairs sit there & drink beer & listen to the bands. So he must have been around 80 years old or so, & I always will think highly of him,

Best wishes,

drew failes

potalaworld
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2006 7:21:01 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Does anyone remember the Aussie Ive forgotten his name who cycled on a penny farthing bicycle(Built in 1890) from London to Sydney? He got hit by a car in Mittenwald & spent a year recuperating in Garmisch. He was hilarious, & wildly gay, a real queen & once performed the infamous “Dance of the Flaming Assholes” in the Grill, where he stuck the end of a toilet roll up his ass & then lit the other end & sang “Im a firefly”!.

I read that he made it all the way, & I am just wondering how the folks in Andrha Pradesh liked him!

Drew

chucksklrst
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2006 7:21:30 PM

Medals:

Groups:

<<<<<<<< So he must have been around 80 years old or so, & I always will think highly of him

Best wishes,drew failes>>>>>>>>

Drew, Thank you for your kind remarks.

My Dad  (Charlie Henderson) was 86 when he passed away. Quitley in his sleep. He was not sick per say, other than His systems just ran out of gas. His mind was sharp as a tack and he  always enjoyed a verbel sparring match. By the way, he alway won. In his latter years he lost the feeling in his feet (nerve degeneration) and be ablity to walk. Alway a very indepentant person, not needing the help of anyone, this was the beginning of the end. He often remaniced about the times at the Grill and I beleive he was the happest during those times. Out side of his famly Garmisch was his second Love.

Chuck Henderson  ( Water Patrol B-Gaden Summer 1970)
Wichita Falls, Texas

potalaworld
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2006 7:21:40 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Dear Chuck, just another little comment on your Dad, I think that during the time he ran the Grill it was the most succesful period  in the excellence of the bands & the food. Do you remember, many Germans would just die to get a chance to go to the Grill & get one of those big steaks, & it really was considered quite a sophisticated restaurant. It was sad later when some moron decided that there should be no restaurant but a ridiculous snack bar with slot machines, & even although the Deutsche Kellnerin could not be fired, women who had spent ther life as waitresses which in Deutschland requires years of training, were reduced(in their Dirndls) to clearing paper cups off tables.  I will also say that your Dad would always nod to us longhairs when he saw us in the street, & once he was going to throw us out of the Grill & my very hippy friend said, “But I was in the marines” & something about Parris Island & your Dad just smiled & said OK  just this time.  We would usually try to hide behind one of the pillars in the grill, it was a great time.

best wishes,

drew

potalaworld
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2006 8:05:57 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Cookie Monster & Thom, Howsitgoin? It was the best of times. I worked washing glasses at the grill from May 74 till Feb 75, then it was Al Turnell who ran the Grill or should I say turned up to run the Grill. Who was the Austrian barman? When I was there we had Big Frank from Partenkirchen who was great, & Brian MacGlaughlin who could be a nasty little bugger at times, & Fred a tall Californian who was OK. Then we had the view of the Dreitorspitze from the window & spent a lot of time outside with the likes of Jim O'Connor etc. stargazing, I wonder what happened to him. I talk to Steve Dwight & see Bob Borzellino on occasion. Thom do you remember Herr Johannsen getting pissed & playing the Horst Wessel Lied on his violin? He once was giving me a hug & stuck his tongue in my ear the old perv! Good to us guys though, let us get away with murder, those stoned barbecues in the garden. Great,

best wishes,

Andy failes.

Cookie
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2006 9:12:10 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Thom,

Hey have you been to Sun Valley lately?  Talked to Simone just today and will be going out to see Mike and Stu there on the 4th of July.  Nice to hear your alive and well...Cookie