Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
My time in Berchtesgaden 1983-1988
Luurch
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2005 8:56:51 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)

I was in Berchtesgaden 1984-1988. I worked at Skytop as a liftie, the Hof as a lifeguard, got married to a German girl Named Gabriella who worked for AFRC kids program, worked at Chiemsee campground for one summer, worked at General walker as hausmeister for a year.

If anyone remembers those years or remembers me drop me a line or reply its fun to remember.

When I left Berchtesgaden I turned a page on my life and never looked back. I often think about traveling back to visit. What an incredible time I had there, it seems like a whole different life time now.

Some of the people I remember.

Mark Downs

Dan Rogenkowski

Tomas Hahn

Bibi Finken              

Bruno Cestari

Andre Schlerendrecht

Rob Selvagio

Tom Clary

Tim Herron

Some of the things that happened during my time there.

The recreation manger for BRA coached an American football team called the Salzburg Lions and I played Quarterback for a year.

Slot Machines were installed in all the hotels and we used to go and play for hours and drink Weis Beer.

I found Berchtesgaden as a soldier from Finthen Army Airfield on a ski week vacation in 1983 and a year later I was back as a civilian and stayed for nearly five years.

Joe Pritchard
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:49:21 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Yeah, It is always good to post your name so that everyone knows who you are.

The statue of limitation for most crimes is seven year so it is ok to talk about the real things that happen. *smile*
Gayle
#3 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2007 9:03:55 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Skip,
I found the email address for John Klauber.  siacd57@bellsouth.net
Hope this is still a good email address.  He hasn't responded to me in awhile.
Gayle Morse

lolliepop
#4 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2008 1:00:24 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi, my name is Laura Collier and I worked at the Gen Walker Sports store in the years you were there so I remember most of the names you mentioned. What is your name?
lolliepop
#5 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2008 1:00:24 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi, my name is Laura Collier and I worked at the Gen Walker Sports store in the years you were there so I remember most of the names you mentioned. What is your name?
Bill Sutherland
#6 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2008 3:02:51 PM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I remember you loliepop... do you remember the young kid who was there -had blonde hair and was a pain about asking for ID Cards?
Skip
#7 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2008 3:36:05 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Lolliepop,

I worked in the Billeting Office Sport Shop in 80-81.

My roommate Johnny Klauber was the Manager of the Gen. Walker Sport Shop back then.

Do you have any idea of what happened to him? He was a great guy. We had so much fun and should have got in trouble for it several times.

Thanks,

Skip Thompson
Gayle
#8 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2008 7:04:01 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Skip,
I worked in the General Walker sports shop with John Klauber in 80-81. My name back then was Gayle Morse. I worked there for a year with him. A lot of great times & memories. I heard from John about a year ago on this web site. He found me and sent me an email. We corresponded a few times, but have not heard from him since. I will have to look up his email address and post it for you.

Gayle

Skip
#9 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2008 7:12:52 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Gayle,

I worked with Pete, Leslie and Bobbie. It was some of the most fun I have ever had.

We became kind of famous if I remember right.

:-)

Skip
lolliepop
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2008 3:41:42 AM

Medals:

Groups:

I worked at various hotels before going to the Sport Shop in 1984. I knew most of the people you name...and bought skis from them! As many who stayed long enough...I ended up being the Manager and then transferred to the Munich Sports Shop. Really enjoyed it and, of course, like most of us have a lifetime of memories and friends. Currently work for the Navy Exchange in Annapolis, MD.

This past year I was watching some randon tv show on something in Texas and saw someone I recognized. I googled him and got in touch. This was 29 years ago and as a young(er) airman he visited BGD and  was my very first customer when I was a waitress at the Alpine Inn.

Laura Collier

lambo
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2008 6:39:18 PM

Medals:

Groups: Administrators

Chris Shepard
Luurch
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:13:20 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hey Laura, I am sure I remember you. I was working at the general walker for a while. when you were there. I spent a lot of time at the ski shop because one of my best friends at the time, Mark Downs worked there. I think he took over as manager when you you went to Munich. My Name is Chris Shepard. I work at Wintergreen Resort in Virginia near Charlottesville now. Let me know if you have any idea what happened to Mark. How long did you stay in Germany? 
Luurch
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:17:41 AM

Medals:

Groups:

My buddy Mark had Blond hair and was that guy asking for the ID cards. Bill What did you do in BGD at that time around '84-85?

Bill Sutherland
#14 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 12:13:24 AM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Luurch;

I wasn't in B'gaden then. I had left in 79 to go to Bad Toelz. I was with the 10th SF Group, as a reserve soldier then. In 83-84 I was attending the Universaetat of Muenchen, (German University at Munich)... and working part time at a photo shop, while going to Reserve Duty in Toelz.

But the year was 1992, and Mark seemed to act like I was some German and he became a pain in the old ass every time I wanted to buy something in the sports shop. I ended up going to Esterle's just to avoid the b/s... I was called up in Feb 1991 and returned in June 1992 from Desert Storm And after being there for more then a year, I went on terminal leave, and he thought I had forged my ID card. I was insulted that some clerk had the balls to even ask. I wanted to kick his ass I got so mad. I was then recognized as an American who lived as a local national, but for practical purposes had every right to buy things there. But, there I was, just back from Desert Storm, and I had this kid tell me I couldn't buy a sports sweater there b/c I my ID wasn't valid.

His rhetoric was redundant, my ID was valid, (the date on the card was visible and listed that I was active army even!!)... ? But I had this kid who still picked his nose telling me, that he can't accept it as a valid and couldn't figure out, that I was called to active duty? I made a complaint to Munich but I'm not sure where that went. I felt like it was the last straw, put your life on the line, and that was in 92.
lolliepop
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 12:36:00 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi...just recently got in touch with Mark Downs (through a connection on this site) and a few other sport shop people from GAP and BGD. Since May I live on the east coast...Annapolis, MD and I work for the Navy.  Email me and I will send your info to Mark. Laura.Collier@juno.com