Tag as favorite
Alpine Inn (Retreat House) / Strub Disco
Bill Sutherland
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:33:51 PM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey Sid,

I remember when I came back to B'gaden with Steve Stahl, in 1975 and talked with you many times while working at the Alpine Inn... if you ever make it back either stay at the Hobelbank or my wife's sisters in Konigssee.

You will be surprised at all those who have joined here...odd that we all hang on to those fond memories... Great hearing from you.

Bill
Tlach
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:12:16 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)

Sid,

I just found this site today.  I was on the patrol and roomed with  Manny S.  and Eloy Aguerra (Louie).  I remember the disco.  I might have some old pics.  I'll look.

Tom Lachner

Bill Sutherland
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:26:38 AM

Medals:

Tom;

Welcome... I am wondering where you worked and what years?
Tlach
#4 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 8:55:52 PM

Medals:

Groups:

I was on the patrol in BRA the winter of 75-76.

Great to pick up some of the threads on this site.  I will try to go the reunion in Telluride next year now that i know about them.

Bill Sutherland
#5 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 9:09:58 PM

Medals:

Those were damn good years... Had I reupped I would have been running the patrol in Tom Wotjals place... and gotten a bonus of $15,000. How stupid can a guy be...gets out of the Army comes back to his old hangout- and accepts a $7.50 an hour job- if I knew what I know now, I would have stuck it out an not joined the Reserves but stayed in the Active side and long been retired. But that was 30 some years ago...!!
HConradJr
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:29:18 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hey Tim, I was on the BRA patrol in 75-76, too.  I sent an email to your aol address. Pop me a line if you want to catch up.  Most all who passed through AFRC over the years have nothing but fond memories.  Special place(s)  Howie Conrad
majbill
#7 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 2:57:29 PM

Medals:

Just saw this thread.  I visit the web site off and on. I was not at B'gaden long. I was the last Army officer assigned to B'gaden under AFRC (90-91). I worked for USAF LTC John Blair who was out of Garmisch.  I was joined by two senior NCOs that I thought a lot of and felt llucky to know...Sid Alberts and George Z (sorry too many years and don't right away recall George's last name-if you  see this George I humbly apologize).  While at B'gaden one of the tasks I had at hand that I did not enjoy was returning Alpine Inn area to the Germans. As Desert Storm came about we started opening up B'gaden to Soldiers and their families at no cost to practically no cost for anything. Also during this time we began turning AFRC B'gaden over to USAREUR control and no longer a part of AFRC.  Strube was greatly reduced at the time; all US troops except the three of us left as Munich closed. Mostly storage as I recall and we did have a small medical clinic still at least for a while as I recall.

Best wishes to all,

Bill Coke, MAJ, USA (R)

Bill Sutherland
#8 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 6:39:38 PM

Medals:

Major Bill;

Odd that the program you noted for returning soldiers was in place. When I moved back to B'gaden we lived on Salzstrasse 13, then I was called up and when I returned everyone told me that plan was basically for active duty soldiers. So I couldn't even play golf. I do remember a SGT MAJOR getting into an argument with Thomas Ashauer, who basically kicked him and 7 other enlisted off the course because they weren't wearing correct clothing for a "Golf Resort."
They ended up firing him... but what really jerked me around was I wasn't allowed to play golf and I lived there... ?? I left B'gaden after I sold my bar and closed my studio to leave for Ansbach. That was in July 1995.
sidsquid
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:22:12 AM

Medals:

Groups:

I'm Sid Carriere, and though not an "official" member of the BRA Ski Patrol, I was inducted as an "honorary" member due to my diverse roles of being Father Dick Goellen's assistant at the Alpine Inn Retreat House, as well as the original DJ, then bartender, at the Strub Disco (where I sold many, if not all of you, a cold Weininger).

I lived at Strub with the MP's (John Sweeney, Bob Morrison, SGT Clapton, and Gary ???). After getting out (05/76), I came back as civvie and worked as Bank Messenger and wore my lederhosen with a Gov't-issue .45 sidearm making the money pickups at the Walker, Hof, Alpine Inn, and Chiemsee. At this time I was supopsed to be living in the motor-pool end of the barracks with the 3rd country nationals, but I kept my original room with the MP's (I let one of the bands from the disco crash in my "other" room).

I mastered the bunny slope and tumbled off the t-bar at Skytop, and for some unknown reason, went on a tour to Maria Alm where all I did was punch holes in the slope with my boots.

For a short while I was the Cubmaster for the Scouts, and once prepared a New Orleans-style dinner for COL Brown and his brood.

I left for good 11/76 and, though I've tried, have not managed to make it back yet <sigh>.

Just wondering if anyone remembers.