Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Bertchesgaden Visit
aburt32
#1 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 9:00:46 PM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi. I was fortunate enough to be part of the AFRC for a temporary duty assignment to Bertchesgaden in the winter of 1979 after training in Garmisch. I am finally making a ski trip next week back to Germany, Austria and Switzerland. My family and I are planning to spend some time in Bertchesgaden for a long overdue trip down memory lane. I would like to show my wife and daughter where I spent a fantastic ski seanon 32 years ago. However, I see that many of the old buildings have been torn down. Can anyone please tell me if the barracks where we were stationed are still standing? If so, any directions would be greatly appreciated. I also remember a great restaurant for ribs (Werners?) where many a stiefel of beer were consumed. Is the place still there? As I was trying to find some information for our trip I discovered this fantastic website. Great job. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill Sutherland
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:35:28 AM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you follow the signs to Bad Reichenhall and then onto Berchtesgaden you will come into viewing the Watzmann after you hit Bischofswiesen. Soon after driving past the town the road splits and goes to Bgaden and Strub. If you take the road to Strub you can't miss the Strub kaserne. But you won't be allowed to enter. Its now all an all German kasern and dedicated to the Gebuergsjager or mountain troops.

Do yourself a huge favor. When you stay in Bgaden, stay at House Bogner in Koenigssee, my sister in law now took over the Pension and my brother in law can arrange (maybe) a visit into the old barracks at Strub. He can also tell you where and what to visit while there. He is with the Polizi in Bgaden and still has a lot of connections within the small town.

http://www.gaestehaus-bogner.de/haus.php
1 user thanked Bill Sutherland for this useful post.
aburt32 on 2/2/2011