Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
The Powers That Be Whittle AFRC A Bit More
bundok
#1 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 9:07:38 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I'm far from up on the latest so this is probably old news to most everyone, but recently surfing the web I came across a site(s) about further reductions of the US Military in Germany. Listed among the upcoming base closures for 2015 was Garmisch (called US Army Garrison Bavaria). It said the Breitenau Skeet Range, Garmisch Golf Course & Gen Abrams & Dispensary Complex were slated for closure. I also read comments which suggested the entire Garmisch AFRC be closed, saying it's unneeded anymore, its function as a convention center could be moved to an existing base.
So, the first AFRC reduction carving knife which began with closing down the Colombia Hotel in Munich back in '83 or whenever it was, to eventually all of Chiemsee & Berchtesgaden, leaving only Gap, has now whittled a wee bit more. Wonder where this is leading? The end?
Harley
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:02:33 AM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Well,
I guess the progression is: 1. A sizeable military force in the region because it's necessary (or not). 2. An R&R system because the former makes it necessary. 3. Facilities for the R&R.
Once #1 is reduced or eliminated, the others kind of lose their validity. And our good old AFRC days, like for me, mid 70's, were during a time when military pay was not on par with the private sector.