Tag as favorite
Back in Bavaria Again
Michael J. VanLaanen
#1 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2003 3:04:01 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)

Hello to all AFRC Raiders,

I hope the Reunion went great as it always does, Yeah I shouda been there.

Here is the Scoop on what I am doing now, I was mobilized in Dec 2002 and sent to K'Town for 18 months, got to see COL Baz a couple of times, visited B'Gaden (got the blues just Like Jim C.) visited Chiemsee the week before it shut down, skipped GAP and hit O'fest, Bad Durkeim wine fest etc. went home in June of 04. 

I was forced to retire from the army reserves in May of 2005 and then I put in a packet for volantary recal from the retired reserves, nothing happened.  In 07 I called a Gen. friend that I worked for when he was a COL. (not BAZ) and asked if he could assist me in returning to active duty anywhere, sandbox podunk usa anywhere.  He gave me a number to call at the five sided puzzel palace (pentagon) I did that got an email delegating my request to another LTC and nothing happened.  The years go by, May 2008 I played my trump card and called a guy that I grew up with back in Iron Mountain Michigan, he is working at the pentagon in a decent position for the Asst. Sec Def Manpower Office, this time it worked.  My buddy called me back and asked if I would like to go to the NATO School Oberammergau, my responce was How Much Do I have to Pay You.  On Feb 9th I got orders to leave on Feb 15th and after 2 weeks in Fort Jackson SC... Here I AM.  For at least two years of more.

So I have a two bedroom apartment here and the family is staying in Minnesotta which leaves plenty of space for any one that wants to crash on the cheap.  Send your lodging requests to me via email at Michael.VanLaanen@us.army.mil   Loking forward to hearing from any Raider any Time.

Sincerly

Mike V.  (B'Gaden 75)

phosphateb
#2 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2004 6:31:11 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Mike if i make it to Garmisch in 2010 will buy you a beer! Sister in law is head surgery nurse at the krankenhaus.  Is the irish pub still open?

regards,

john

ddeskavich
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2004 5:05:50 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Michael,

I don't believe it!  What are you studying?  Advanced beer drinking?

Deb

Michael J. VanLaanen
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2004 4:22:40 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Deb!

I am working as Engineer Officer in charge of troop construction projects, physical security officer, reserve affairs officer and I will also be working as a course director a few times a year for reserve officer courses.  The best thing is here I am in Germany again and getting paid to be here. 

My daughter Vanessa has been in the northern part of germany by Wolfsberg (1hr weast of Berlin) since last Aug..  She is a foreign exchange student and will be here until the end of july.  We are going to London together in April so that will be real nice to see her again.  Her sister Missy is a junior back home and has been taking college courses 1/2 time through some great program where we don't have to pay for it and plans to go to full time college as a senior next year.  They will both be at college in Saint Cloud or Daluth next year but I only have to pay for one, pretty neat Hey!

So as I mentioned before if anybody is thinking of comming over for a visit give me a shout.  I  plan to get up to see Baz when he gets back in June, I hope I have a car by then.

Keep in touch, Mike V.

Bill Sutherland
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2005 6:53:22 AM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hey Mike;

I wrote you via my AKO... let me know if they need a PAO person??

Sutherland sends

xxxxxxx
#6 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2006 1:46:27 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hi Mike,

The only person that i would visit in O'gau would be you.

Way back in 1968 I was stationed in Munich and was a Mail Guard

on a daily mailrun from Mu8nich to Ogau to garmisch. Through

rain, sleet or snow”. The Army Post Office delivered.  Just ask

MSG Billy Sutherland. 

My only remaining AMIGO in AFRC. YOU Major Mike.

Stephen “Barney“ Barnett