AFRC WHITEFISH REUNION 35th Annual
lambo
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2003 5:50:23 PM

Medals:

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Jim,
It was pretty funny!
Hey, haven't you said 'I can't make it this year but maybe next year' for the past 4 years?
What is up with that? Indianapolis is just not that far from Montana. I think you should make it this year!
DAIGLE
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2004 12:56:07 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Fantastic! I don't have any contacts, except that of my Maine buddy Peter McDonough (I'll be in Maine myself at X-mas). I just confirmed my reservation in Montana. I'm really looking forward to this. Could you please, please, give me the email contacts of Big Pete, Boyd, Norm and Stew (I have some great photos!) I tried Boyd's roster contact to no avail. I also remember Scotty as I was a very good friend of Rosemarie's. Wonder where she is! I'd also love to contact Stew. As tour guides, we certainly were a wild bunch?

Thank you so much for helping me out. I can't wait to reconnect with a few old friends (don't use the first definition of the dictionnary on this one!)

Bill Sutherland
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2004 6:02:02 AM

Medals:

Groups: Members, Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hey Paul-

Be sure to prost all the poor sob's like me doing military duty! Aufgehts eine Prosit fuer alte dackl die noch im militaer sind!!

lambo
#4 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2004 9:02:12 PM

Medals:

Okay then, just a week out to #35! Jeez, who would of thunk it?
Lot of you slackers out there are going to miss another great reunion.
Half the fun is figuring out where to go next (And where will are allowed to go!).
Ski you real soon!
Bill Sutherland
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2004 8:37:42 PM

Medals:

Funny Jim... laughed my ass off... ! Great humor.
mallie
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2004 3:19:27 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Hey, I got an AARP membership and I am only 54.  See on the slopes with my walker, depends, drool bibs, and new teeth.
lambo
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2004 6:36:40 AM

Medals:

What a great reunion we have in store for all of you!!!
Tim and Kate Ibey have put together a very good hotel and ski hill combination for this years' reunion. The Lodge at Whitefish Lake and the legendary Whitefish Mountain Resort at The Big Mountain will entertain all of us for 4 days in early March.
If you do not receive a reunion registration letter in the next two weeks, it means I don't have your mailing address. You can download the info from this website by clicking on the popup on the home page or by clicking on the 'download' tab on the homepage.
If you still want a hardcopy, send me your mailing address to paul@afrcski.com.
Please let as many folks know about the reunion as possible, lets get some newbies into our party!
Looking forward to seeing some new faces this year as well as all of the diehards!
Paul S. Lambres
JAMES CAREY
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2005 12:36:16 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Members

PAUL:

Just received your letter for the gathering of the RAIDERS.

Talk about being perplexed.

I understand the ADULT Ski Package and Senior (65 - 69) which is indorsed by the AARP.

But............Old People (70+)??????

What do the Old People get?   A pack of Attends, drool bib and spit can?

I know, we Old People can sit by the fire and reminisce the good times in GAP, Chiemsee and BRA.  When needed we can help one another to the can.  Upside is the young girls will gather around us ol-timmers and help when needed.  Ah yes.........a warm sponge bath while you young “wipper-snappers“ are breaking fresh new powdered snow.

Oh yah.............just a second..............how old are you now Paul?

Sorry..........I can't make it this year but maybe next year I will get there.  Damn walker don't work too well when getting on those airplanes.

JIM

lambo
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2005 7:47:34 PM

Medals:

Hi Jim!
Glad to get some response from my post. Jim, that 'Old People' rate included lift tickets as well. The rate for non-skiers is the shared price of $137.50 per night (or $68.75 per person).
I am 56 now and have all intentions of skiing until they burn me up and spread my ashes on as many ski hills as they choose to.
Jim, I hope you do make it to one of our reunions. I know you and your stories would be a hit. The AFRC Timeline is a great addition to the website and I thank you for your effort.
Lambo
lambo
#10 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2005 12:37:31 AM

Medals:

Dang Mark, why did you wait so long for surgery?
As for the rest of you folks, this is going to be a great reunion. 42 rooms booked as of Dec. 10. Only a few more days left until they are out of rooms.
Lambo
mksteepndeep
#11 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2005 12:37:50 AM

Medals:

Around the holidays are the slowest time of year for me so its actually the best time for surgery. Only took 3 hrs, replaced the ACL, repaired MCL, and repair right lateral miniscus
Bill Sutherland
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2006 9:56:06 PM

Medals:

Lambo;

When I was in Berchtesgaden in January 2007, I went by and collected a rare souvenir (I grabbed a piece flat stone, like finished cement that was around the side of the entrance of the Berchtesgadener Hof. The hof had a very historic yet important role and is now no longer standing. It was torn down last year.

I have made that stone into an award. I call it the “Watzman Award.”

As you know the Watzmann is only the second highest mountain in Germany but it is an important landmark and a big part of Berchtesgaden psyche. (I think it should) be awarded each year to someone different who has assisted in a minor but important role in getting a reunion together. The name should be engraved with the year. The cement slab stands 8 inches high, weighs about 15 lbs., and is attached to a nice wood or mahogany backing. There is picture of what the Hof used to look like. I have not finished it off yet. But would like to know if you will award this at the end of the reunion this year. I could Fed-x it you at whatever hotel you need me to send it to?

Tell me if think you can follow up on this wish or if I should just plant the stone, in my back yard. I’ll need to know soon.

Bill
DAIGLE
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2006 10:00:23 PM

Medals:

Groups:

The plans for this reunion sound terrific. I'm an old GAPA girl (72-74) ( that's not my age average! ) and have never attended one. You mention new faces. I'd love to be one. I'd also love to read from a few greats of that incredible era who are planning to go. No snow in Paris, France, so one has to travel far... Am planning to ski in GAPA this February so a reunion after that sounds more than appropriate. I saw Eberhardt from the Zugspitze in May 08. He's still working up there although it has changed so much. But the skiing is still great ! Eberhardt told me that ski instructor Frank is still around intermittently ! Still hanging in there. ANd those who remember Astrid, Sam's mom so to speak, still lives there too. See you soon ! Linda Daigle ("lucky lindy")

Bill Sutherland
#14 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2006 10:23:54 PM

Medals:

Linda;

Do you remember a Burke Harrell who was commander then? What did you do in GAP then?

Bill
DAIGLE
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2006 2:42:12 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Thanks for your note. Sorry to say I don't remember the commander.

As for myself, I did the traditional odd jobs (short order cook at the Sheridan, maid at the Van Steuben and also maid in a German hotel since I speak fluent German) then became a tour guide for the newly set up organisation in GAPA (headed by a New Zealand or Australian woman). I mostly did the tours to Linderhof, Neuschwannstein and Insbruck. I worked with Rosemary Szabo (Archstrasse) and Dianne Flack and others... Also some VIP work when the big wheels came down to visit.

I was a regular in GAPA prior to living there from 72 - 74, since my parents lived in Germany (from 59 to 89) and we often spent our skiing vacations there. My brother Karl used to come down from Munich to party with us at the Last Chance, half-way house, Grill... etc.

Searching memory lane I come up with names such as the members of C team ski patrol Phil Hansen, Steve Henson, Dennis Bossack, Dan Atkinson (my honey at the time), Peter McDonough, Stew Brown, Stephen Bailey, Trevor Wilson, Scott Wilson, Boyd Colt, ARnie Dickinson, Bob Hood (who didn't know him !), New York Annie, Betts Farrell, my friend Gerard from Maine who died in that famous motorcycle accident on the road down from Grainau, Norman Gray, BIG PETE, Kinky, Jeff Pratt, Tom Singleton, Dennis Wilson. These names must ring bells to other GFI's. I used to knit ski hats and do embroidery with the GFI or Fritzmayer signs. It was fun. I think Boyd got a good sampling of embroidery on a jeans jacket of his. Some of my best work !

Looking forward to running into some of you !!!!!! I can bring some Sauerfritz since I'll be in Garmisch in February !

lambo
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:11:33 PM

Medals:

Linda,
Well, you certainly did come up with some names from the past! In the past ten days I have talked to or e-mailed Big Pete Simpson, Boyd Colt, Bob Hood, and Norm Gray. All four of those guys will be at the reunion. Do you also remember Scott Stratton? He was with Rosemary for some time and lived at Archstasse.
In addition, Stew Brown has made 5 or 6 of the last 10 reunions and is still on Ski Patrol at Sun Valley along with Mike Lloyd. Peter McDonough has also been to a reunion if the past 10 years.
I am the keeper of the data base and would appreciate any AFRC Contacts you might have so we can notify them of reunions and such.
paul(at)afrcski.com
Bill Sutherland
#17 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2006 6:05:58 PM

Medals:

Ich hoeffe das du meines beschissenes Deutsch mal lesen kannst. Aber du hast vergessen zu sagen wo du jetz wohnten tuts? Falls du Dave Oakland kennsts er ist immer noch dort im Garmisch, und arbeited im Sport abteilung beim Armis? (habe ich gehoert!)...

So Alles Gute, und eine Frohes Fest Wunsche wir dir!

MfG,

Bill
mksteepndeep
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:28:35 AM

Medals:

Having knee reconstruction on Dec 10th from last years re-union, think I'll sit this one out!
DAIGLE
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:58:02 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Fantastic! I don't have any contacts, except that of my Maine buddy Peter McDonough (I'll be in Maine myself at X-mas). I just confirmed my reservation in Montana. I'm really looking forward to this. Could you please, please, give me the email contacts of Big Pete, Boyd, Norm and Stew (I have some great photos!) I tried Boyd's roster contact to no avail. I also remember Scotty as I was a very good friend of Rosemarie's. Wonder where she is! I'd also love to contact Stew. As tour guides, we certainly were a wild bunch?

Thank you so much for helping me out. I can't wait to reconnect with a few old friends (don't use the first definition of the dictionnary on this one!)